My RB Box Isn`t An RB Box!!!

olliecast

i don`t whether to cry, cry, cry, or cry.

I`ve spent 3 weekends trying to fit my RB box.

Got it in and its all good, but the ratios are no different.

I`m guessing now that i don`t have an rb box.
only thing it does is whine a bit when accelerating slightly in first.
got it from here:]

~3k at 70 mph?

and to top it off, i have another water leak on the back of the block.
I love my pulsar, but this mabe the final straw

cheers,
ollie

Last edited:

nathan

dont give up m8 i take it you have emailed the bloke if so what is his reply??
if you want m8 when im not at work i'll come and give you hand

olliecast

If you're going to give up that easily you might as well go and join all the other quitters and buy an evo now :doh: :lol:
not a chance, i ain`t buying no evo, no way.

its the fact this is the second time i`ve been done over on this car.
Got raped for 200 odd quid with my coilovers.

atleast it changes gear better than my other one and i managed to get in my uprated clutch fork in.

Deep breath and thin how i`ll change the water hose that is now leaking!!

There no other way to check if its got the normal ratios on?

Last edited:

olliecast

dont give up m8 i take it you have emailed the bloke if so what is his reply??
if you want m8 when im not at work i'll come and give you hand
cheers for the offer matey.
I`ll just fix the water leak again then get in my rb interior.

Atleast i`ve now got a spare gearbox for when this one spits its arse on track

MarkTurbo

I suppose the only way to check without resorting to opening the box up would have been to have both boxes next to each other and marking the shafts then put them in 5th and seeing how many turns of the input shaft it takes to make the diff do 1 turn.

olliecast

I suppose the only way to check without resorting to opening the box up would have been to have both boxes next to each other and marking the shafts then put them in 5th and seeing how many turns of the input shaft it takes to make the diff do 1 turn.
too late then, lol.

Ollies feel better points:

1:The box and all the rb interior i`ve now got was only 300 quid

2: Aleast i got a box fitted thats loads better than my old one.

3: The clutch is 100% better too as my fork had nearly worn through.

4: I`ve now got a spare box so i can thrash the fook out of this one knowing i got a spare?

:doh:

P

pulsarboby

lol i know how you feel mate.
i recently bought a car and was told it had a quaife and forged engine (with reciepts from gda)

had a buyer for engine and box but thought i had best check both items out before taking other peoples wedge.
so i removed end case from box only to find it was standard, then took bottom off engine only to find once again that parts were all standard.
car was bought off ebay and the guy said he had only had it 6 months and didnt know himself which may have been the case so waste of time ripping his throat out.

this is the problem with ebay, 'you pays your money and your taking one hell of a gamble with anything you buy'
i try to avoid it as much as possible as most people are scammers in one way or other on there and once they have your wedge its very difficult to get your money back.

dont get too disheartened though, just remember in future 'if its cheap then theres a reason for it more often than not'

Last edited by a moderator:

olliecast

yeah good point bob.

Got some good knowledge of box removal anyway now.

The mrs has just quoted top gear last night:
"its only tin and rubber"
so right!

Trondelond

Sorry to hear about this :|

The water leak - do you know where it's from? Seeing as how you're doing the same mistakes as me for the moment, maybe you're lucky and it's the oil cooler water hoses that are doing a number on you?

pulsarmoley

too late then, lol.

Ollies feel better points:

1:The box and all the rb interior i`ve now got was only 300 quid

2: Aleast i got a box fitted thats loads better than my old one.

3: The clutch is 100% better too as my fork had nearly worn through.

4: I`ve now got a spare box so i can thrash the fook out of this one knowing i got a spare?

:doh:
Positive thinking keeps us all going :twisted:

olliecast

Tronde,
it was dripping down one of the cable covers that plugs into the back of the plenum.
Need to get it warm and check behind with a mirror.

mounted in my seats with some welded brackets earlier and the driver is now solid and really low.

The bloke who sold me the box has been on the blower and said i can return the box to him for a full refun if i`m not happy.

He said that he`s done speed runs in other pulsars and hit 150 ish. This box he said he`d never reach these speeds. Will just have to see.

Cheers,
ollie

splmum

i don`t whether to cry, cry, cry, or cry.

I`ve spent 3 weekends trying to fit my RB box.

Got it in and its all good, but the ratios are no f**king different.

I`m guessing now that i don`t have an rb box.
only thing it does is whine a bit when accelerating slightly in first.
got it from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270460565306&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

~3k at 70 mph?

i`m so pissed off,

and to top it off, i have another water leak on the back of the block.
I love my pulsar, but this mabe the final straw

cheers,
ollie
Get back in touch with the bloke that sold it to you and ask him for the VIN number, the one stamped on the firewall behind the plennum chamber, it should be something like RNN14-123456.
From there you can post it and anybody with Nissan FAST will be able to check to verify the model that the parts came off.
If it identifies it's an RB then you have to assume somebody swapped out the gearbox and put in an RA box, which you now own.

STU666V

My Friend has an RB and his gearing sounds the same as mine on track! Unless he's got an RA box too? His box is out at the moment as it stuck in gear.
Are all gears different in the RB box? or would you just notice it the most in 5th?
Anyway, head up Ollie :) you will get her fixed.

nimhbk

I stupidly purchased two arcteryx sidewinder jackets for £300 by postal order the company had over a 1000 feedback and was rated 100% that was a year ago. Well it was con no jackets turned up, they must of had stupid amount of other eBay accounts to get the feedback they had!!! And plenty of time as the feedback was over 12 months
I had to smile thou, who ever they were quite clever,

P

pulsarboby

Are all gears different in the RB box? or would you just notice it the most in 5th?
all gears are different, theres a huge difference from an ra to an rb box assuming its a genuine one.
on the road its not even worth using first gear as the ratio is that high

splmum

My Friend has an RB and his gearing sounds the same as mine on track! Unless he's got an RA box too? His box is out at the moment as it stuck in gear.
Both boxes are different ratios.

Neither can be subtituted for the other, ie RA input RB output or RA output and RB input, it doesn't work.

Gear RA RB
1 3.285 3.067
2 1.850 2.295
3 1.272 1.653
4 0.954 1.272
5 0.740 0.911
R 3.266 2.320
hth

ChrisS

Send Fast Guy a PM. He'll be able to tell you what sort of speeds he gets up to in each gear. From memory the first is about the same as on a quaiffe and will prob hit close to 40mph. After that they're pretty close together. You'll prob nead 3rd before you get to 60.