MPH Speedo required for MOT?

geetee

As subject really....

I had to remove my converter / delimiter after it started playing up and I haven't bothered to replace and now it's MOT time :roll:

As far as I can tell from
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

the speedo isn't included in the MOT and on my last MOT sheet the speedo section is just crossed out with a N/A next to it.

I'm sure it's a legal requirement to have an MPH speedo, but do you need it for the MOT?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
geetee said:
I'm sure it's a legal requirement to have an MPH speedo, but do you need it for the MOT?
I thought it was part of the MOT, but maybe it's not. If they don't road test it (for the brakes) they might not notice it. :wink:

mattygti-r

FCK THAT! mines due or erm a month over due ive the same problem

i just flick it inot k's and hope for the best

most of the time they just enjoy driving the car let alone look at the speedo :lol:

geetee

Theoretically they have to road test to do the brake test with a decelerometer as you can't put 4WD cars on the usual brake rollers.

Oh well, I'll stick it in and see.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

ard1ey

Road test? :? Mine just gets driven outside the garage, tester bloke drives forward for about 10 feet and hits the brake. If it stops, it passes, I smile and the worlds alright with me. :D

jonee

r

to put your mind at rest

i am an mot tester and i own my own station and i can tell you that you DON'T need the speedo working for the mot.

however you do need it to work when your car is on the road as it will contrvine the road traffic act.

hope this helps mate

cheers jonee

P

PaddyPower

you DONOT need a mph speedo to either pass an MOT of to drive on the roads in this country.

It is recomended to have a mph speedo so you know what speed you are going, but not required.

Past my first MOT with a km speedo on it. Only problem is the bloke filled the mot cert in and didnt mention that it was in km then i had the clock adjusted to show miles and chiped the speedo. Second mot a had to persuade tghe bloke that the reading on the previous mot was in km which took a bit of doing.

Only problem you will come across with a km speedo is that the rac will not do one of their car checks on it if someone requires one before buying it as i did when i got mine (apparently it places their testers in danger when they take it out on the road) . Simple way round that though is to give AA a call cos they will put their testers at risk :lol:

geetee

8) I'm happy then.

The speedo works, just in KM/H. I know what 20, 30, 40 , 50 , 60 , 70 etc mph is in kmh. So I don;t have a prob with speed limits.

Scares the doo doo out of passengers though cos it's still got the MPH face on it - they think ur doing just over 110mph when ur doing 70 :lol: :lol:

Cheers for the info guys.

GeeTee 8)

W

WRW76

my car passed its first uk mot last month with the speedo in km/h

A

Anonymous

Actually you don't need a working speedo to pass an MOT, and you can use a normal brake tester on an R and a lot of other 4 wheel drives without problem.

geetee

you can use a normal brake tester on an R and a lot of other 4 wheel drives without problem
That'll be why the official MOT tester's handbook states that any 4WD vehicle with an LSD shouldn't be brake tested on rollers. Do you trust you local MOT place to know if your car has an LSD or not?

The same reason you shouldn't tow a 4WD with 2 wheels of the ground... it will 'eventually' fook the diffs.

Personally I use a small MOT station without rollers, they take the car round the block, stamp on the brakes - smack their head on the windscreen and say the brakes are fine :lol: Particularly funny as they seem to be allergic to seat belts :D

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

jonee

a tip for you all
if you think that tester has broken you lsd whilst doing a roller brake test then he is liable and has to replace it.

J

jpward

You guys are all lucky over here in N Ireland they do tests on the Rollers to test your speedo and it MUST display MPH and KPH!!!!!

now thats a real bum deal! :!: