MOT time

Will it pass without the cat?

If not, how many/which cats will I need and where can I get them from for a goose system? Wil the std R one fit?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As above; when I discussed it with a tester they said that they go by what's in the database from the DVLA. - So if it's a Sunny they've got emission figures (and it needs a cat), but there's nothing in there for non-domestic market cars like a Pulsar so it goes through as the non-cat test.

If your engine is running well and the exhaust is clean, you might find that the emissions are actually quite low; it's the one thing that mine doesn't fail on.

Richard_Sideways

My '91 was decatted not long after I got it when the exhaust needed doing and it's never failed on emissions... apart from when the ECU was having a senior moment - and then they were more concerned about the sheets of flame coming out of the back rather than the CO2.

Nick K

Just for future info. I got a cat from Eurocarparts for £44 online. Was listed under a sunny gtir but fitted great for the 45 mins it was needed for at the mot station. Mine is 1994 though so very grey on whether it should have one fitted. Now collecting dust for a year in the garage :)

MrMischief

Never had an issue with emissions on either of mine, previous was a '93 with a Mongoose & no cat & current is a '92 with no cat. Only problem I had last time was noise with a jobsworth tester saying the 3" side exit with single silencer was too loud. They couldn't prove what a standard car of this type 'should' sound like for comparison though. Ended up taking it to another enthusiast owned garage & it passed no problem.