MOT Failure, exhaust too loud!! Help!

GTi-R23

Just taken car for MOT at Kwik-fit of all places, guy said the exhaust was too loud in his opinion and wouldn't even test it because he was gonna fail it on that. Where do you guys take your cars for MOT? Only had mine just under 12 months, hence this is the first time I've had to MOT it. Running a De-catted Mongoose by the way so it is quite loud, but not too bad when just idling. Anyone know any deaf MOT testers?!

J

jpward

As far as i know they cant fail you only on the pretence that it is leaking!!!

Its no different than the hundreds off 1L shit boxes with 3"peco's on them!

A trick you could try is to make a gasket for the exhaust out off thin sheet Stainless with a smaller diamater hole in it and fit it to rear of cat say a 1"3/4 hole as aposed to 2"3/4 internal pipe.

This will definitely reduce the anti-nodes and you will loose a bit of power but easly fitted and removed for MOT 2 bolts!! ;-)

geoff pine

im in upton wirral mate , my owns is a mongoose and it was no problem 1/2hour from chester.

Last edited:

chadboy

i got told the same with my nova ages ago, i did run a kwik fit centra but its wasnt a mot centra othawise id be laughing for my mots..
the way i would look at it, every car part have got to be e-marked (uk standard mark)
if u was buying a exhaust and it was too loud and it was classed as a mot failure id say on the product, normaly off road/show use only like u buy on the bulbs.
plus mot tester dont have anything on the mot machine to check how loud the car is, so ask how much is to loud. may be a different mot place may pass it becoz its down to the mot tester
kwik fit r to stricked thats y i left
gd luck chadboy

S

Stoned

Mine passed for 2 years running without any problem. It's entirely up to the tester so take it somewhere else

geoff pine

when you take it to another m.o.t. station get them to listen to it before you get it tested as if it fails i dont think you can then take it to another one as its then on there system. you may just have to bite the bullet and replace the decat with a muffler or a cat for your m.o.t.s.

GTi-R23

geoff pine said:
when you take it to another m.o.t. station get them to listen to it before you get it tested as if it fails i dont think you can then take it to another one as its then on there system. you may just have to bite the bullet and replace the decat with a muffler or a cat for your m.o.t.s.
Where do you take yours mate?

I did ask him how much was too loud and he said it was at the testers discretion and there was no dB test, reckoned he'd failed another 'R on the same thing a few weeks ago and hadn't seen him since

Nigell_d6

Hi.

You can get a fitment that goes in the back to reduce the diameter, apexi do one, simple to make if noise is a problem, personaly I would not go to kwick fit, a bit like going to asda for your car bits,

Regards

Nigel

MarkTurbo

Nigell_d6 said:
personaly I would not go to kwick fit, a bit like going to asda for your car bits,
:lol: :lol: :lol: Definatly take it somewhere else :doh:

I dont think i've ever met a kwik fit employee with an intelligence level above that of a pubic louse. I reckon they only employ people on the basis that you need to be a retarded sh1thead. Their mothers should be tracked down and have their c**t stapled shut so its impossible to produce anymore of the penile warts of society :evil:

If you havent already guessed i dont like kwik fit fitters :der: ;-)

chadboy

like i said i did work for kwik fit, the prices are high on sum things but the warnty is brill they didnt like it becoz i told the customs the truth & run the centra my way.
the way they look at it every car that comes in has got2 avage £100 worth ov work.
so if u done 10 cars aday works out £1000 witch is a good day
so when u do 15-20 cars & u take £1000 thats a very bad day
sunday would be quite and two ov use would do £1000
monday-saturday would be £1500 - £2200 aday
and they complain all the time

mad max

shame you dont live in the reading area i could phone my mate he will pass it if its in good shape no worries about the noise my one passed its not what you know its who you know lol

JIMMYBACK

that mot tester sounds like a right prick to me:evil: just take it some where else as im sure there plenty of other garages that will welcome you business:thumbsup:

paz

Take it somewhere else buddy, mines passed fine now twice. I know a couple of garages in Bolton if you don't find somewhere your way.

Paz

geoff pine

hes not going to drive to bolton from chester just for a m.o.t. paz theres life out side of bolton .its not the centre of the universe:eyebrows:

paz

geoff pine said:
hes not going to drive to bolton from chester just for a m.o.t. paz theres life out side of bolton .its not the centre of the universe:eyebrows:
There's no life outside Bolton if you live in the Wirral fella :lol: :eyebrows:

Paz