MOT and mongoose = failure

N

NickB

Right peeps, had my MOT today....which wasn't too bad. Failed on a few lights not working especially the interior fog light bulb - serves me right for taking the dash apart!!

My main problem is that the goose failed. Apparently according section 7.1 2B of the 'bible' says the silencer is ineffective. After a discussion, regulations have changed and it is just too loud. It was recommended that I have some baffles inserted then it would pass no problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?? The goose is a 5 inch slash cut if that makes any difference. If I can get this sorted, the rest of the failures shouldn't cost much(a first for a Pulsar!!)

Many thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine goes through OK at the local council testing station. Appeal against the decision. What noise level was your putting out?

You could just put the cat back on and try again, that'll silence it abit more.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just found this
Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 25
The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001

© Crown Copyright 2001

Statutory Instruments printed from this website are printed under the superintendence and authority of the Controller of HMSO being the Queen's Printer of Acts of Parliament.

Excerpt:

13 Noise and silencers 1. The vehicle shall be fitted with an exhaust system including a silencer such that the exhaust gases shall not escape into the atmosphere without first passing through the silencer.

2. When -

(a) the vehicle is held stationary on a level surface such that there is an unobstructed area not less than 3 metres wide all around the vehicle; and

(b) the engine by which the vehicle is propelled is run at a constant rotational speed of 3/4 S,

the noise measured at 0.5 metres from the exhaust outlet at 45 degrees to the axis of the outlet pipe in a horizonatal plane, shall not exceed 101db(A).

For the purposes of this item, "S" means the rotational speed at which maximum power is produced. Paragraph 1 shall only apply to vehicles propelled by an internal combustion engine.

101db is LOUD. Get a db meter and test it.

MarkTurbo

Fast Guy said:
You could just put the cat back on and try again, that'll silence it abit more.
I put the cat back on mine on saturday for the mot and was expecting it to be quieter.............it wasnt though :shock: It sounded exactly the same :?

N

NickB

Unfortunately by the time I picked the car up, the guy who tested it had gone. I personally can't see it being 101db..I knew my goose was loud but that is taking the proverbial!!

I'll try and see the guy tomorrow and see what he says, maybe I'll try and get him to do a reading while I am with him just to make sure.

I tried explaining that the goose was on there when I bought the car and it passed the MOT fine before. Other than getting a cat(which I don't have) is there any way I can make it quieter?

Thanks for your help guys.

jonee

mot

nick b.

trust me on this :D

an mot station doe's not have a db meter as an approved method of inspection.

the noise test is purely at the descression of the tester.

ask the station for a VT17 appeal form and you will never see a tester sign an mot ticket so quick.this is of course if they are not computerised yet.

let me know what they say.

jonee

N

NickB

Cheers jonee, I'll give it a go. Got to buy some tyres, sort out a few bulbs but then I'll see what they say.

It will be interesting I'm sure! Thing is apart from this they seem like a good garage and we all know how difficult they are to find.

Time to go out and show the town my 101db then.....if thats true!!

Mr GTiR

LOL i have an exhuast system which is 3" straight through and that passes an MOT. So a normal 2.5" Mongoose system should pass with no problems.

C

Crazy

Mine pasted last weekend mate so I think he is talking out of his A R S E :)

S

Stoned

Mine got through it's MOT last Novemeber with no mention at all of the noise, only the emissions due to the decat

They passed it with the basic emissions test.

Nigell_d6

Hi,

I have a 5" goose with decat pipe and passess ok, however if he is insistant, I know apexi do an insert for there 200sx straight through pipe, might be an idea to have a look at and see if you can make one for the mongoose, My son uses the insert for when he returns home late at night, one hand tight bolt holds it in, doesnt wake the neighbours up which means I dont get it in the neck.

Regards

Nigel

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
LOL i have an exhuast system which is 3" straight through and that passes an MOT. So a normal 2.5" Mongoose system should pass with no problems.
Ditto. Mine was 105dB on a test at 6000rpm for Oulton park. The tester let me off as I over revved it slightly (But not as much as he thought given the 3/4 rule) 8)

Mine passed its MOT yesterday too. Change MOT station to one with a proper petrol head mechanic.

Jim

N

NickB

OK, spoke to the tester today and he is adament he won't pass it. apparently it is because of the following:
"As far as the noise is concerned the regulations are quite wordy but boil down to the Tester being able to fail the exhaust if the noise emitted is “clearly in excess”, of what would normally be expected. "

One thing he did say was get it down to the Ministry Of Transport and if they say its ok then he will pass it. I might do this and see what they say...and if they OK it then...

Otherwise it looks like I'l have to try and find somewhere that won't fail it on silly things.

Thanks for all your help chaps.

Also just found this from the manual which he quoted to me:

"2. With the engine running assess the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing as far as is reasonable the noise caused by the exhaust from the engine."

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
NickB said:
OK, spoke to the tester today and he is adament he won't pass it. apparently it is because of the following:
"As far as the noise is concerned the regulations are quite wordy but boil down to the Tester being able to fail the exhaust if the noise emitted is “clearly in excess”, of what would normally be expected. "
I would Expect alot of noise from a rally car with alot of power.

Does he know it's a 4x4turbo rally car with loads of power? I bet he wouldn't fail a TVR because he'd expect it to be noisy :roll:

JIMMYBACK

Fast Guy said:
NickB said:

Does he know it's a 4x4turbo rally car with loads of power? I bet he wouldn't fail a TVR because he'd expect it to be noisy :roll:
he sounds likea right k nob jockey to me :shock:

kirko

Fast Guy said:
NickB said:

this is quite true i bet if a ferrari or a lambo passed through his garage he would be asking for autographs not picking on petty reasons to fail it