Modena front diffs

vpulsar

Hi I was thinking of trying to organize a group buy on these who would be interested ?.

I've spoken to them about it and they're willing to make more so I thought I'd try and drum up business lol, They would cost $1100 aus dollars which isn't cheap nor overly expensive either, They're of the torque biasing type like you'd find in the front of a ford focus I believe.

Rob

vpulsar

Be warned that all in mine came to about £1300 with the shit exchange rate, import duty and bank fees for international transfer.

That's alright mate I can afford it at the moment lol, Just sold my house now got 60k burning a hole in my pocket well I will do soon lol

Fair play, I was just a bit suprised by the hidden costs. Having previously bought items from all over the world (Japan, EU, US, etc.) I felt a bit stung at playing 50% over the item cost in fees/shipping

vpulsar

Fuck that @£1300

I've asked him about other payment options such as paypal to try and keep the cost down, The diff only works out at £652 so I find it hard to believe you could actually get to £1300, I'm sure with a bit of effort that could be bought down. Plus if you did a money transfer as a group buy you'd only be sending one payment rather than individually so that would be cheaper and if the diffs where delivered to one address with maybe a marked down value that would save costs as well.

But regardless I don't mind paying what ever it costs.

Rob

vpulsar

Fuck that @£1300

Also I'm sure you'd be happy to spunk that money of a good turbo that is far less complicated to produce.

It's the same old story of only seeing value in stuff that makes you go faster, A Modena diff would probably transform the handling, Doesn't one of the members use one to win stuff in his pulsar ?

Rob

whytie

I thought Modena wasn't interested in making more diffs, have they confirmed they are willing to make more?

The exchange rate must have improved, the diff worked out to be £750-ish, shipping was another couple hundred to get it insured and shipped in a reasonable time frame and then I got git with an import tax bill for close to £300.

The import duty lottery swings in round-abouts thought as I paid £60 for my £1200 OS Giken clutch.

vpulsar

have they confirmed they are willing to make more?

Yes. Got these two replies earlier.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hi Rob.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]It’s been normally 10 units but as it builds up we end up doing 15/20 units but 10 would be good to keep the prices the same as last time $1100AUD plus shipping.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Regards[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Frank. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Modena Engineering Australia Pty Ltd[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Factory 2/11 Daniel Drive[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]CARRUM DOWNS VIC 3201 AUSTRALIA[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Tel: +61 3 9782 4420[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Fax: +61 3 9782 4260

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hi Rob[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]That’s what the last guy said and we had quite a large turnout just need to get the ball rolling but if we have no joy I will make a few and put them on the shelf we always get inquiries about these units we must get on to the centre diff as well.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Regards[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Frank. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Modena Engineering Australia Pty Ltd[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Factory 2/11 Daniel Drive[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]CARRUM DOWNS VIC 3201 AUSTRALIA[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Tel: +61 3 9782 4420[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Fax: +61 3 9782 4260[/FONT]

vss irvine

Also I'm sure you'd be happy to spunk that money of a good turbo that is far less complicated to produce.

It's the same old story of only seeing value in stuff that makes you go faster, A Modena diff would probably transform the handling, Doesn't one of the members use one to win stuff in his pulsar ?

Rob

Yeah no problem over £1k in a modena or £5-600 in a nismo.

You keep spending big balls ;)

vpulsar

Yeah no problem over £1k in a modena or £5-600 in a nismo.

You keep spending big balls ;)
I don't want a plated diff mate so I don't mind paying a few hundred more to get what I want, At the end of the day if it doesn't come off I'll just buy another phantom grip that worked well last time. But a proper diff must be better if I can get hold of one, In the big scheme of things a few hundred quid isn't much compared to what I spending on the car as a whole is it.

Don't forget this is going to be a road car not a racer so good road manners is a must.

So just get your short arse back from wong kong phooey land and get cracking lol

Last edited:

whytie

Keep us updated on how you get on with the group buy. I've got my name down for the nismo group buy also. I'm desperate for a diff. I'm not botherd if I get a nismo or Modena.

vpulsar

Keep us updated on how you get on with the group buy. I've got my name down for the nismo group buy also. I'm desperate for a diff. I'm not botherd if I get a nismo or Modena.
I'm going to try and get a commitment out of him on when he can have some made, He sounds like the type of bloke that likes to sell his stuff unlike some that see it as to much trouble and is also able to do short manufacturing runs, I'll let you know what he says tomorrow if he replies to my last email.

Rob

red reading

Modena automatic torque bias diff is a bloody good road or race car option, for a road car you get no clunking or cracking but it works very very well at reducing understeer...it is the same design as fitted to ford focus rs and many more modern cars, unlike plated diffs they don't contaminate oil, are not as oil sensitive to friction reducers, plated diffs are good on track cars like my thing but a noisey annoying thing on road cars at low speed....and plated diffs do not like things like going down multi storey car park spiral ramps etc, they bind up the transmission like a bastard and bring the car to a halt like you have put the brakes on! Spend the money rob it's worth it.

vpulsar

Spend the money rob it's worth it.
I will mate as long as he can get me one in time for you to fit it in my car lol.

But I don't think it's much of a job to fit in situ is it ?, I seem to remember it wasn't that hard removing the diff from the transfer box to get the phantom grip fitted.

Rob