misfires with acceleration

houghy_1

bear with me here.
my R has been out over winter with the spark plug cover off(front mount conversion)
i started it up recently and i had really bad misfiring, that was down to a small lake that had formed over the plug leads.
dried everything out and put new plugs and leads on it, now when i try to put more than a third of load on acceleration
it sounds like its only firing on 3 cylinders. :? :? :cry:

S

skar

drive it around a bit and it should clear up... i had the same issue and it took about 100 k's of driving for it to completely go away.

i guess the heat got rid of the rest of the moisture in there or something. :D

kon

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try a new set of leads if your's are getting on abit. You'll probably find they seal better too.
I've had the vents out and a front mount for well over a year and not had any water problems with the leads I've put on. :wink:

houghy_1

fast guy: ive put new leads and plugs on. even tried the fault code test and thats clear.

skar: ive driven it to the end of the m56 and back(stockport way) so that should of dried it out.

when im drivin there seems to be more noise and not enough go,
then when i try and put load on the accelerator it misfires badly. :(

any more help is much appreciated.

i will try the injector cleaner aswell.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
houghy_1 said:
when im drivin there seems to be more noise and not enough go,
then when i try and put load on the accelerator it misfires badly. :(
Have you checked the exhaust isn't blowing anywhere:- turbo or manifold for example?

sweetyGTIR

houghy_1 said:
bear with me here.
my R has been out over winter with the spark plug cover off(front mount conversion)
i started it up recently and i had really bad misfiring, that was down to a small lake that had formed over the plug leads.
dried everything out and put new plugs and leads on it, now when i try to put more than a third of load on acceleration
it sounds like its only firing on 3 cylinders. :? :? :cry:
have you checked the plug gaps as i had a similar sort of problem if your running a modified engine the plug gap can be too big and inder load spark can be blown out causing missfire

GTIR-LOZ

i had problem with set of magnacor leads that made it missfire when on acceleration maybe put the old leads back on and try

antgtir

Sounds to me to be around the area of spark leads / plugs that are causing the problem, as this has only just started as a result of leaving it open to the elements :cry: Certainly sounds to me like an ignition problem you've got, while you had the leads etc off did you clean the rotor arm and dizzy?

If you have access to the nissan computer then id test it and see if it comes up with any probs, if not then i would take the plugs out and clean them up with a wire brush and replace them making sure the leads are on the ends properly and securely.

Hope you get it sorted mate, like i said it sounds to me that its an ignition prob, so hopefully you will have it sorted asap :wink: goodluck

Ant. :D

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Which plugs are you using just now...?

What boost level are you running...?

Which leads are you using...?

Check the dizzy and rotor arm too...

Rishi

houghy_1

RishiGTiR: im running denso iridium IK24 plugs,brand new to rule that one out.
the leads are standard,cant go wrong with them,changed them aswell.
i was running 1 bar but ive turned it down since it started playing up.
the dizzy cap and rotor will be my next port of call the next chance i get.

hi ant,im very slowly working through the problem when i get chance,weather and light and spare time permitting! :(

Fast guy: i did the turbo gasket in august and did all the surrounding ones while i was at it.

cheers for the posts off everyone :D

houghy_1

update:
i have fitted a new dizzy cap,rotor arm,plugs,leads and ive poured a bottle of injector cleaner in and run about 50 miles.

now what i get is nearly spot on running when you feed the acceleration in slowly,boost holds firm at 10psi or 0.7bar,
and will go nearly up the revs cleanly with good pull.
but if i put too much on acceleration it will misfire.
whats next to check :?: timing :?: :?: :?:

help!!

Mr GTiR

take it to Ian @ Hiteq to get your timing and ignition checked out. That knock could have knocked your ign or timing out :?:

btw, CHECK YOURS NUTS!! :p :wink:

A

Anonymous

houghy_1 said:
done!
55=all is well :D

but all is not well :cry: :cry:

help :!:
i know you've already said that the leads and plugs have already been renewed but the fault as you describe it is the classic symptom of a lead breaking down under load.allright with gentle acceleration but put the toe in a bit harder and it starts to miss.

houghy_1

Dooie Pop Pop said:
fuel contamination or blockage/filter? fuel pump/wiring? coil?

does it get worse as the engine gets hotter?
i think it does get worse the hotter the engine gets,
getting walbro pump next week from SRBPower(cheap at £70!!)
its booked for this friday at hiteq nearish to me,so they should be able to shed some light on it for me. :D

ill post up on friday how its gone.

cheers guys.

houghy_1

misfires with acceleration-SORTED!

all is well again :D :D

turns out the o2 sensor had gone,one of the leads was playing up and
there wasnt sufficient voltage to the fuel pump,10.5volts.

new walbro fitted,fuel filter,leads and its done!