Melted piston

B

billygtir

hello agen,turns out the R didn't bend the valves it melted piston 1..any clues to how much it should cost and how to pervent it happen agen,but saying that i don't even know wot boost its running so i will have to wait till i get it back and put a gauge in..All i know about the car at the moment is it's has a chip don't know which one,an HKS dumpvalve and filter,bleed valve and a twin custom exaulst..oh and the garage i bougt it at said it is 300bhp don't no though.
cheers
billygtir

A

Anonymous

billygtir said:
hello agen,turns out the R didn't bend the valves it melted piston 1..any clues to how much it should cost and how to pervent it happen agen,but saying that i don't even know wot boost its running so i will have to wait till i get it back and put a gauge in..All i know about the car at the moment is it's has a chip don't know which one,an HKS dumpvalve and filter,bleed valve and a twin custom exaulst..oh and the garage i bougt it at said it is 300bhp don't no though.
cheers
billygtir
get shot of that bloody bleed valve and get a proper fuel and boost controller.those bleed valves are a menace.
you may not have any chip,it might just be a bleed valve set to approx 1 bar.

skiddusmarkus

I'd be thinking of trying to get my money back?Can you post up the details of when you bought it and what happened exactly etc?

coxie

sorry to hear that mate.....but on to bigger and more powerful rebuild :twisted: :twisted:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You'll need a set of forged pistons and a proper set-up to help prevent it happening again. The pistons on their own are about £500 upwards depending which make you go for.

B

billygtir

i bought the car from buckinghamshire about 4 months ago,no warrenty. the car was fine for a few months untill i was on my way to santa pod from bristol on the motorway i decided to see how fast she go's got to 145mph and it lost a bit of power so i pull over and there was blueish smoke was coming out of the exaulst,got a flatbed to take it home and it stayed there untill i had the money to get it looked at.

skiddusmarkus

Check with trading standards about the warrant.They sold you a car so may be liable.You might want to edit your speed though :wink: .

A

Anonymous

billygtir said:
can't i just replace the one piston.i fill sick :cry:
there would be very little difference between changing 1 piston than changing 4.
you still have to get the engine stripped down to do 1 so you might as well do all 4.it`ll save you money in the long run :D

Davey

you dont need forged pistons to prevent it happening again(although, you may as well get them, rather than standard), you just need to run realistic boost, have it setup, look after it properly(regular servicing), and dont try and do 145 again, this is just about the most stressfull thing you can do to it :shock:
Oh, and as oap says, get rid of the bleed valve, they are too easy to mess about with/let the boost creep up.
Good luck m8, hope you get it sorted :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Standard pistons are about £250 a set I think.Don't know if you can buy them singly.The cheapest forged ones start around £400-cheaper if you buy from US.
I would never just replace one thing like that on the car,it's a false economy even though it's a killer to pay for it.The other advantage is you can run a bit more power more reliably with a decent rebuild.

Not having a boost gauge :shock: in any sort of modded turbo car even if it is just exhaust and filter is practically asking it to blow up.

Bleed valves arent all that bad you just have to keep an eye on your boost every now then once you set it at a reasonable amount it shouldnt change enough to blow an engine unless you've got other problems.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Davey said:
you dont need forged pistons to prevent it happening again(although, you may as well get them, rather than standard), you just need to run realistic boost, have it setup
Yeah, you don't need to fit them, but why risk meltdown again, even if you do have it set up properly and the cost of that rebuild, when fitting the forged pistons now might save you the cost of that rebuild. :)

B

billygtir

Wots the best value set of forge pistons i can buy,bit sort on cash at the moment for anything special.

GTIR-LOZ

i think the weisco ones are under 400 quid and are suposidly used in drag cars etc and for motorbikes, dunno if anyones had em fitted though

A

Anonymous

You can buy the pistons seperately, should be about £25 but remember you will need to get new rings too. Replacing just one piston is fine, however check the bore hasn't started to oval and have it properly hoaned before refitting. It's probably easier to remove the engine to do this, but once the gearbox, sump and head is off you can do the job.

I'm running Wiseco Forged pistons in my MR2 Turbo, and they are top quality. Check out some pics

http://www.btinternet.com/~ben.longhurst/new_images/mr2bits/01220008.JPG

http://www.btinternet.com/~ben.longhurst/new_images/mr2bits/01220010.JPG

The Wiseco kit comes with pistons, rings, pins and clips. I buy my parts from the US and the pistons cost £215 for the set ($399).

As you can see from the picture the Wiseco do make full skirted pistons, and they do not suffer from any slap or clatter even when cold. I've been using them for about six months in my MR2 and even when it's been -4, my engine just purrs in to life, with just the exhaust and injectors clicking to be heard.