market value for gtir, anyone !?

jonny5

It has been a while since I've logged onto the gtir forum, largely down to the fact that I have been enjoying many moons of trouble free motoring.

Unfortunately I return on bad terms. My pulsar was recently broken into.

I contacted my insurance company today (I now regret this) who are going to write off the car (ffs), Cat D I'm guessing.

I have checked the terms of my policy and seemingly I will receive 'market value' for the car. I should also mention that Zenith were reluctant to provide me with a value and have referred my claim to some other dept (I will chase em up tomorrow).

I have checked various online valuations, glass, parkers etc. None of which actually list the pulsar gtir.

Does anyone know of a site or contact that will give me an accurate value of the gtir? I have a nasty feeling that my insurance company are going to offer me a cheeky 500 quid cheque or summat.

Obviously I wont proceed if they offer me that insult and will fix it myself.

I'm properly gutted, spent almost a year sorting out the car (stripped gearbox + rebuilt engine etc) and this is how my car is seemingly gunna go. Broken by a failed break in attempt. Geez :der:

All comments (besides how stupid it was to contact the insurance company) are greatly appreciated.

cheers

jonny.

jonny5

it will be a whole new door (it's buckled something wicked) plus ignition barrel.

Last edited:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
keep your options open, dont give up on the car esp if you have put so much work into it.

I sent you another PM btw :-D

antgtir

Replace the parts with those supplied by one of the guys here, dont bother going through the insurance as it will only bite you in the ass next year, plus you will be giving up a perfectly good car for nothing.

Good luck with the fix.

Ant.

gtir_pimp

also when you claim you will have to start a new policy and could loose your no claims discount. not sure how much your insurance is but it wouldnt be worth it if your not long into your policy or just renewed it. if its coming up for renewal time then its not so bad, but that cheque could be the same amount as the money you will pay for your insurance. if they write it off and take the car it wont be worth it

STU4X4

Gutted for you mate, if its cheap enough to fix though withdraw the claim.

similar thing happened to a mate of mine, the car he had regularly changed hands for 2k but was of similar age to the pulsar so didnt come in any valuation guide and they offered him £200!!!

He argued with them that if they can find him another one, similar mileage, condition, history etc for £200 then he`d accept that. They asked him to prove the re sale values so used several adverts from Autotrader, forums etc of similar vehicles to his and got £1500 and kept the car.

R

riske

If you are still gonna go down the insurance route you should provide them with adverts of cars for sale. Recent cars that are similar to urs and provide them with the price they want for the car. This way you have the proof of what you should expect to get for your car.

Best thing to do is retract the claim although it will still count as they know what happened but they wont take ur car or fix it, it will be down to you.

Speak to vss irvine or pulsarboby as they will have the parts you need. Shame you didnt think of this before you rang the real theives and scammers, i mean insurance company.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Or you can submit your own car adverts to the local papers/autotrader and then send them in to the insurance company :) Optimistic ones of course

Sween

I have 2 doors for sale and lock barrells are easy enough to come by. You could have it repaired yourself for under £200 and be back going again. Just means you have to foot the bill out of your own pocket I guess

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
If they want to write it off you can cancel the claim, it is still your car until the pay you for it. Tell them you can get it repaired for buttons. They will put it on the MIAFTR system as a cat D as they have to under FSA regs but at least you still have it.

Give me PM if you want some more info.

Aimée

Braveheart

I had a mirrors ripped off and my driver side door kicked in on my astra GTE many moons ago.... bought the car for £4000, drove it for 5 years and loved it to bits.
Made a claim and was told the car would be written off.... I retracted my claim and fixed the car but when I came to renew my insurance it had gone up by £200
When I questioned the renewal price they told me it was because of the incidend.... complete madness.... I explained the situation to my new insurer... :)

ashills

look through autotrader and piston heads for similar cars to yours and use that as proof as to what they have to pay you thats what people will normally do book prices dont mean anything with these type of cars