mapped a nearly stock pulsar today... 321 hp...

Fusion Ed

Had a nice clean pulsar in today. Usual mods FMIC fuel pump and Sard pressure reg. With a mongoose exhaust but stock elbow the care was in every other respect stock clean and tidy. Fitted nistune on it and went on the dyno. I was driving/running the dyno today (but charlie @ srr set it up as usual) as the owner (Adam) is a bit keen and wanted to have a go at mapping and had done the EFI course etc but no practical experience so I guided him, told him what to do when and why etc and we mapped the car.

I don't have the graphs with me now but the car made 321 hp @ just over one bar at the top end with 1.1 bar at around max torque (cant remember exact figure around 300lb i think) ill post graphs when i get them sent to me.

Either way it may now be one of the highest stock powered pulsars I've ever had, and the reason I post it here is if we were running 1.2 bar on a stock setup like many do blindly here the car could have potentially been in trouble, as I have now seen the power vary by 40hp @ this boost depending the car on test. Some go massively lean, on this we could up base pressure to 3.5 bar so effectively making the injectors the same as 510ish cc, but the AFM was on its limits thats for sure. Also interestingly it was very sensitive to ignition. It didn't knock (you have to be way passed minimum best timing for that to happen) but just one degree retarded from MBT lost 10hp. All in all a great result and now a really nice car do drive.

But as a said and please don't just take my word for it, If you do follow advice of others and just blindly set 1.2 bar do get your car checked just to make sure its all happy and safe etc.

anyway ill get the pics up sooner and show how it went.

Ed

pulsarmoley

Wicked thats impressive :thumbsup: How much do you charge for supply and fitment of a nistune and dyno setup Ed? Have been thinking about having mine R done, cheers Pete :-D

Fusion Ed

Usual is 350 now + dyno but will sort out people here for 330 still.

I know its lame and people will read this and say of course Ill say it, but such huge gains can be had from a proper remap. This car today started at 260hp @ 0.8 bar at peak power and left with 320 odd @ 1 bar at peak power. 60hp doesn't come from just 0.2 bar alone so we did very well in this case. Most pulsars will get around 300-310 at this boost I find, but some just work better than others. We gained 6hp alone from pulling out fuel at the top end as the nissan (and others like mines for example) runs so rich at the top end that power is just lost.

pulsarmoley

I know pulsars arent economical but if i could improve economy as well as gain some extra hp that would be good. I would be looking for around 330hp with a good amount of torque to match if possible. My spec:

Forge engine
264 cams
K+N filter
walbro 255 pump
2.5" system
custom elbow (yet to be fitted)
GT2560 turbo

Rest is stock, MAF, injectors etc...

What do you reckon to that Ed?

Braveheart

That is interesting. Looks like you have lost your slot to Adam... ;-)
Look forward to seeing the graphs.
Does the car have additional cooling in the form of an alloy rad and oil cooler?

pulsarmoley

Does the car have additional cooling in the form of an alloy rad and oil cooler?
I have a twin core copper rad and i will be fitting a front mount 13 row oil cooler shortly.

Fusion Ed

I know pulsars arent economical but if i could improve economy as well as gain some extra hp that would be good. I would be looking for around 330hp with a good amount of torque to match if possible. My spec:

Forge engine
264 cams
K+N filter
walbro 255 pump
2.5" system
custom elbow (yet to be fitted)
GT2560 turbo

Rest is stock, MAF, injectors etc...

What do you reckon to that Ed?
Well your unlikely to make 330 as I explained above. I could push the maf beyond its limits, but its a pointless thing to do since when its it can cause a few issues. Stock injectors won't do that unless you can up the pressure.

Economy on boost (relative to how it would be before) can be improved. Off boost economy will remain the same (and is actually pretty good if you have the will power to truly not use any power at all, and the lambda sensor works)

Cams will help though. Thats a bit of an oddball setup really. Would have to try and just see what it could do :)

Fusion Ed

lol

No its all totally stock. Temps were stable at about peak of 96 on the dyno after a run.

shroom

That's a realy good figure, you wonder why through all the hearache and pain go to the lengths of forged etc when over 300 is cable with "cheap" stock engine and parts

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
That's a realy good figure, you wonder why through all the hearache and pain go to the lengths of forged etc when over 300 is cable with "cheap" stock engine and parts
remembering of coarse that those stock internals are probably near 20 years old, that's actually older than some of the drivers.........

vss irvine

forged is overrated...

new stock internals can easily see upto 400hp, and imho thats the limit for these cars, more than 400hp and your looking at a long uphill struggle( with a sheer drop on the other side)

let the engine breath keep the boost down to a minimum

greed for power costs.......

P

pulsarboby

forged is overrated...

new stock internals can easily see upto 400hp, and imho thats the limit for these cars, more than 400hp and your looking at a long uphill struggle( with a sheer drop on the other side)

let the engine breath keep the boost down to a minimum

greed for power costs.......

100% true

skiddusmarkus

Mine suposedly(Well Lane rollers) made 333bhp/290lbft on 1.15 bar with just mongoose,blitz filter and a bleed valve.The engine went in my opinion after having someone not experienced with Pulsars putting my timing chain on incorrectly and then it detting its tits off(never once had det before that) and doing 2 ringlands.If that hadn't happened I wouldn't have bothered with going forged and just had it remapped.
I think maybe the rollers were reading high though as the 1/4 mile times of 12.7 @ 106mph would come from more like 300bhp imo.Who knows.

I will be getting mine mapped by Ed though, driving past several tuners on the way just because of the reputation he has with these cars.

pulsarmoley

Cams will help though. Thats a bit of an oddball setup really. Would have to try and just see what it could do :)[/QUOTE]

Why is it an oddball setup Ed? :oops:

apalmer

Ah, i believe this thread relates to my car :)

Yes chuffed to bits with yesterdays session, basic tweaking of maps on the road is one thing, but getting to grips with full dyno feedback is another, so thanks Ed, great result and advice as always.. hatsoff sir.

I must admit, the stock Nissan timing is a mess, really undulating and i can't fathom why it would be set in such a way; it's possible that the japanese image is calculated this way due to climate and octane, but nevertheless it made the 3 dimensional landscape look like the surrey downs. Glad to have this ironed out and a smoother delivery because of it.

I also can't believe the power that it made, my STI5 which was a whole 8 years newer than this car (and arguably at an advantage due to engine layout/drivetrain) made identical power on a VF28, 440 inj, walbro and 3inch exhaust, quite remarkable really.

Good job there were no cameras on the way home Ed! Your lead foot would have got us a night in the slammer :p