Mallory Performance ignition systems

A

AJ4

I can't say for them or against really ( I dont have one, but I have replaced a few earths myself ).

As Ed pointed out, mostly its all sorted quite well with the ecu on our cars, but there are one or two 'weird' ones that could possibly cause problems. On mine there is an earth lead coming out the TPS harness which is earthed locally and also one on the AFM. These are for the screening on the cables though, not the actual 'earths'. If any of them go then you'll get pick up from everything in the engine bay so its worth making sure they are ok. And the 'main' grounds from chassis to engine etc need to be perfect as mentioned above.

I can't say I'd go out and pay £100 for a fancy pants earthing kit, but like Jim I understand the concept and measure and replace if necessary.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AJ4 said:
I can't say I'd go out and pay £100 for a fancy pants earthing kit.
Do you think I'm under selling myself :doh:

I'll get red cable with blue connectors and charge £50 :der: :lol: :lol: :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've fitted this tonight quickly. I've done a pucker solder job on the electrics and just lashed inthe coil and amp (I couldn't believe how big they were!!!!)

I bsaicalt did the same wiring as Steve. I was going to ekiminate the ballast resistor and capacitor for no other reason than I didn't think I needed them. In the end "I took the path of least resistance" :doh::doh::lol::lol: and cut the coil wires and connected the amp to there.

After this mega thread I was able to do the wiring from memory 8)

The car ran with the plugs gapped at 0.5mm, so I gapped them again to 0.9mm. The car idled smoother but I couldn't be bothered to install the coil and amp properly so called it a night.

Was a pretty easy piece of kit to install once I got started and was £130 including vat and delivery for the coil and amp. I need to test it tomorrow night to see if its cheap and rubbish or does the job

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The "problem" is looking like a dodgy TPS rather than ignition related.

However, I've been doing some research into ignition systems generally and although an OE system in good condition can be made to work above 400hp, A Mallory or MSD system will allow you to increase the plug gaps back up to a more normal size again and reduce the chance of misfires. An added side affect of a CD (Capactive Discharge) system is it should allow you to advance the ignition a little more too. Over the next 6 months I hope to fine tune the map and find out.

low612

I would suggest using the crane-hi 6 . The msd is ok above 3500k but something in the design of the msd units cause drivibility issue below that. Idle has been more stable with the crane hi 6 car felt much better with the crane. The msd boxes have been know to fight with ecu signal in some way. Mike Kojima touches base on this with dyno test. i dont exactly remember the issue but it was enough for me to trade out my msd on my sr20det'd se-rs.

heres a little post from years ago http://www.nissanforums.com/forced-induction-nitrous-oxide/9540-crane-igntions.html?highlight=Crane

Last edited:

rossdj1983

steve- reference to the diagram you shwed earlier in this thread im going to copy it, is yours working all good mate?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Campbellju- still have the Mallory system fitted?How has it been these past years?
Pulsar = Dead.

I don't think it was the ignition system that let him down, I think it was still running strong with gaps at 1.1mm until the block gave-out.

skiddusmarkus

Thanks, I have an msd coil already but am just weighing up the options.I am crap with electrics so fitting it myself isn't really an option so the more simple the system the better.Or even better, get someone to fit it for me if it doesn't take too long.
The MSD bits are quite a bit more expensive lately with the shit exchange rate so they aren't the bargains they used to be.The ones on Ebay seem to be asking silly money for postage too- £40-50 for something weighing about 1 kilo is taking the mick.

skiddusmarkus

I've ordered an msd 6a 6200 now.I think I got a lead plug with the blaster coil.Can that be grafted onto a standard coil lead or do I need to buy a special lead from somewhere?

Trip

Wiring the 6A and coil is fairly simple to do. As for the lead from coil to distributer, i bought a lead which is slightly longer and the correct size.

gtirx2

Heres how to wire it up...

HEAVEY RED---POSTIVE BATTERY
HEAVEY BLACK---NEGETIVE BATTERY/GROUND
BLACK---TO NEGETIVE ON BLASTER COIL
ORANGE---TO POSITIVE ON BLASTER COIL
RED---TO THE BLACK/RED WIRE THAT CONECTS TO THE COIL BY CUTTING THE COIL PLUG OFF.
WHITE---TO THE GREEN YELLOW WIRE THAT CONECTS TO THE COIL

Just remember when you cut the plug off that go's to the standard coil to leave a bit of length on the wire that come out the back of the plug,as you can not set the base timeing with the msd due to the multi sparks under 3000rpm.So you will need to connect it back up to standard to set your timeing correctly.

Trip

I simply spliced in the red/black and yellow/green wire without cutting the plug. If i need to set base timing. i simple plug the old coil, connect the HT lead and remove the fuse from the MSD 6A