M.O.T& laws towards bucket seats and harnesses

johnsy

just wondering if the law or the m.o.t tester would have any issues with bucket seats and 4 point harnesses ??

DanDud

Why if you don't have too?
Because harnesses are awefull for road driving. If you actually have them tight enough to be effective you cant lean forwards to see out of some junctions. Or reach the stereo, or grab a maccies takeaway when your trying to impress the local chavs with your 4 point harness :D

After a day of using one i bolted my standard belt back in, just tie the 4 point up behind the seat.

olliecast

i got rear seats in but no belts. 6 point harnesses to roll cage and no issue today.

Mine failed last year at another tester because i had rear seats fitted but no buckles (as my 4 point harnesses at the time were in them). Had to put them in to get it passed

P

pulsarboby

ive often wondered if i ever got pulled over by the ol bill for not wearing a seatbelt what the law would be on this one!
i would just say that i was wearing the lap part of the seatbelt as i consider it dangerous to wear the full harness on the road
what they would say to that i really just do not know, but a lap belt has 3 fixing points so technically it could be legal i suppose

watoga

I had my MOT certificate placed on "hold" as I had my rear seats removed, but still had the rear seatbelts in. This was apparently a no-no, so I had to remove the belts before he'd give me the certificate................

All sorted now though! ;)

Dave

gtirx2

Not that it really matters,but i think harnesses are ment to be ece approved or something, to be legal to use on the road?

ive often wondered if i ever got pulled over by the ol bill for not wearing a seatbelt what the law would be on this one!
i would just say that i was wearing the lap part of the seatbelt as i consider it dangerous to wear the full harness on the road
what they would say to that i really just do not know, but a lap belt has 3 fixing points so technically it could be legal i suppose
bob it doesnt work, i got pulled before as they didnt see a belt going over my shoulder, when i showed them i was wearing just the lap strap they went mental at me, £60 fine as they said in a collision there is nothing stopping me hitting my head on the steering wheel.

williams

ive been stopped with harnesses before and the police were fine with it. also, my best mate is an MOT tester and he says that if a car was originally produced with a 3 point belt in then it must still have this belt in place to pass the MOT, turns a blind eye for my car though :p but he's failed a few because of just having harnesses though.