lotus

Fire & skill

Vintage member
i quite fancy a new project and putting it through the business :lol: :lol:

i'd be sharing it with the missus and ive been thinking of a lotus exige or an elise, does anyone know much about these two? engine size, reliability, etc. i wouldnt mind a bit track use as well.

any help or info apreciated even if its negative

boucherie

i might be wrong but doesnt the new elise use the toyota 1.8vvti engine which has been 'tweaked' slightly and the exige uses a 3.5 v8 :?: if you want to go on the track then i think the exige would be my bet with road legal slicks cos when they tested it on top gear it stuck to the road like a slug with cramp :lol: :lol:

ashills

mike ex gtir has got an exige it has a 1.8 rover engine and its about 190bhp (i think)
loads of cool conversions for them type r engines and superchargers etc

lakeview

i always wanted an elise until a friend bought one cant remember what model it was(one of the uprated engine models) but a 10 year old could build them better than lotus none of the panels lined up then bootlid either stuck or would open itself and not as fast as i was expecting

deank93

The older Elise has a 1.8 rover engine in it that produces a mighty 118 bhp, so expect pretty cheap running costs, there are several different versions and dealer upgrade models all of varying specs going up the 190bhp.

They are cracking little cars but are no match for standard spec Gti-R's with even the worst of drivers behind the wheel, they run out of puff quickly.

ex-gtir

try pulling 3g in the corners in a gtir :wink:
not as quick in a straight line only 5 secs to 60 but once you get the engine singing into the bend it just superb
if anyone want me to prove it ill take them out and scare the sh1te out of you
mine a rover k series 1.8 with lotus 190 upgrade bad torque though but im doin a either evo engine .honda or audi tt turbo conversion soon
mike

Davey

I've got an elise as well as my 'R (its my GF's to be honest), and it isnt as quick as my 'R, but I wouldnt expect a standard 'R to blow the socks of one.
Build quality is good, nice car to drive, but it's bloody hot in the summer, even with the roof off.
Get's lots of looks though, so if your a poser, I guess it would be pretty cool :?
Oh yeah, and her's is absoulutley awfull in the wet, worse than my van :shock: , but it might just be the crappy yoko's she has on it :?: