Looking to buy this R.. Advice please.

Mr B

Mmm the superb green one is same as in this thread:
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?64239-400bhp-R-hmm-i-smell-shite
Started out at £7000 & due to it actually being a bucket with minimal to no proof of claimed spec went down to £2000 & then Mr Buck got hold of it in hope of making some good profit & introduce some unlucky buyer into the wrong type of GTIR ownership.
Don't know much on the black one but I do know a lot about car dealers & if you want a good GTIR don't buy from Trade unless you know them or the vehicle to some degree, trade sellers are some of the biggest lying scum in the world.
Generally to get a good example requires a private sale from a reasonably long term owner who has done good work & maintanance & does not talk complete shit to part you of good money for a bad car & most bad cars turn up on the likes of Mr Bucks car yard ...
spec of black one seems good but knowing truth of green one instantly reflects badly & any dealing with these guys needs to be done with someone who knows what they are doing & looking at.
Take your time & buy wisely & even increase budget a little if can as buying cheap GTIRS turns into an expensive GTIR or a car that never gets off your drive ...

Last edited:

Mr B

Would love to see um just to laugh but i'm a good 6000miles away lol. probably a standard box with a whiny bearing lol. Viewed a GTIR a few years ago for a friend & dealer sweared it was immaculate & the classic "mint" phrase was used ! (never a good thing!), pictures he sent looked ok but general talk gave me doubts, anyway told him I would be well pissed if was not immaculate "mint" , took him at his word & it turned out to be one of the worst GTIRs I have ever seen as a fresh import, typical lying scum. Have viewed a lot of cars over the years & 90% of what I seen at dealers is tat or very overpriced, all the good stuff came from private sales & fast viewings or in case of my GTIR a fresh personal agent import (not such a choice or good value option now though!)
Best of luck & never trust what people tell you, check everything, hightec engine really ! Norris built Quaife really ! fully forged engine !!! Mmm my favourite this one, fully forged would imply rods too ! at best pistons only but problem is most are built by people who have never even rebuilt a lawn mower before so it does not mean a lot really unless proof of quality work is 100% provided & verified ...
People do not spend 4 grand+ on a turbo forged engine rebuild & the likes to then 7 months later sell their mint pride & joy for some sob story, they sell it as they spent 4 grand vandalising it & it needs another 4K to put right or some twonk to buy it ... Hope you find something good soon, last interesting one I saw for sale was PA-Greens :-/ Really good ones are quite hard to find hence why so many new owners get pissed off in the first year or less of ownership ...

Last edited:

Born Again

What about this eBay one !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280872744375
Has GTIROC sticker so someone may know some background good or bad !!
Short ownership so may have some issues ! could be worth a ring & a few questions but as always a viewing can tell a completely different story ...
I've always found when buying from a private seller that the condition of his/her property can often tell you a lot about the condition of the car they're selling. It's no guarantee, but it's a decent yardstick to make a judgement call on.

bensmith907

What about this eBay one !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280872744375
Has GTIROC sticker so someone may know some background good or bad !!
Short ownership so may have some issues ! could be worth a ring & a few questions but as always a viewing can tell a completely different story ...
I dunno what hes on about- "due to a new addition to the family and due to the small size being unable to fit a pram etc in" Its the most practical car i've owned in a while and my littlen doesnt think its too small

lakeview

you can carry kids easily in it,ive a child seat in mine.though you will struggle to fit anything other than a cheap pram in the boot.one of my brothers kids would sometimes only stop crying if i put her in the car and started the engine

rob

Born Again

The GTiR has roughly the same space inside as the mundane Sunny/Pulsar.....and plenty of those served as family cars. The only slight drawback would be 3 doors and not 5, but that's not a major problem.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I dunno what hes on about- "due to a new addition to the family and due to the small size being unable to fit a pram etc in" Its the most practical car i've owned in a while and my littlen doesnt think its too small
I salute you sir.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old git; I remember being squeezed into the back of three-door cars as a child, why should the youth of today have it any different?

bensmith907

At the risk of sounding grumpy-er I never had a car when I was younger. I remember the only reason I was ever taken shopping was because I had arms and I could carry some of the cheese wire shopping bags home after a 'big shop'.

'Great memories' :)

Georges Dad

At the risk of sounding grumpy-er I never had a car when I was younger. I remember the only reason I was ever taken shopping was because I had arms and I could carry some of the cheese wire shopping bags home after a 'big shop'.

'Great memories' :)
Haha brilliant. I was driven about in a Cortina, no seatbelts or child seats those were the days

bensmith907

I remember going on holiday with a friends family and sitting in the boot with my mate and his brother in a big volvo estate for hours. It was socialy acceptable back then (but I'm sure not actualy legal)

Our children will never know!

skiddusmarkus

Haha brilliant. I was driven about in a Cortina, no seatbelts or child seats those were the days
Hahah me too, a manky brown Crusader.I even helped my dad change the engine and rear axle on it in my early teens.Borrowed my brothers skateboard to wheel the engine about.