looking for a turbo

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There was a piece floating around at one point from someone on driftworx I think; basically he was saying that you can use that kit and rebuild it on the cheap, but don't expect it to last very long. - The main problem is that you can't balance the wheels if you're doing it yourself; you have to rely on trying to get them back exactly where they were before.

In the long run it's probably better to fork-out the cash. - Don't get me wrong though; I'd be tempted to try the kit even if it just keeps the turbo going long enough for me to save-up for a new one.

bob the builder

i might consider that option. i dont think i would do the rebuild myself i would get an expert to do it.
theres no piont spending money for it to die again quickly.i want something that will last.

bob the builder

well took my turbo to turbo force today. very helpful but gave me some news i didnt want.
as there is alot of free play and some slight damage to the compressor it would need a new one,but also that it would probally need a new shaft as it would have worn a groove in it.
so the price has gone from £260 to about £480 which is still cheaper than a new one but a new garret ball bearing turbo is £675 so not sure if i should take the plundge and opt for bb one as my car is a track toy and run 1.2b boost.
ah got to love the money pit which is the pulsar.

John

In my opinion rebuilds are a total waste of time, you would be better served spending the extra money now and getting a disco potato or 2871 if you fancy a slight hike in power and want the reassurance that you have a turbo that is brand new and gauranteed to last, obviously there will be the added expense of a remap in there as well.

P

pulsarboby

dont booger about as said buy a new one bob....i would never waste money having one rebuilt again after 3 turbos, 3 different cars, 3 different companies and 3 failiures!
then they all hit you with the same pitifull excuse being: ''must be a prob with car as its been starved of oil'' sorry guarantees void.

either buy a known good s/h one or bite the bullet and buy new

snoon

I'm with Bob on the rebuild front - Had mine done twice (Not mentioning names *cough AET cough*) and it's not lasted long. Means I've basically got well over a grand in a fubar'd tubby. Must be a problem with the oil pressure sir - bollox it was a brand new Nissan oil pump!

I just waited it out until I could buy a known good 2nd hand one off here. Some1 will at some point upgrade to a 3071 and sell there's. Paid £270 IIRC.

£670 odd quid seems a rip off for a new one - Might as well go bigger or better if your going to spend that much.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've had my turbo rebuilt by turbo force, with a few changes for good measure but its been spot on (road and track).

People bang on about not bothering with rebuilds (maybe from cowboys) but I know a lot of people who have used Turbo Force and they've never had an issue once rebuilt.

At least if anything does go wrong Andy will sort it out no question, but he doesn't worry as he does a good job first time and doesn't come back with bullshit rubbish like mentioned by others.

Work out the price for a new one v's and recon and if its worth buying new buy new it not :thumb:

...also don't bother buying "a good" 2nd hand turbo, that statement means buggar all (unless you have documented history of the turbo) as it could blow up within two weeks or 20 mins on track, then your back to square one again!

Last edited:

billy187

Another vote for turbo force, had my turbo rebuilt by them 18months ago and its still going strong at the moment on another car running 450bhp.

Animaldaz

I've had mine rebuilt by turbo developements about 18 months ago and so far so good. Was good service too, had it back within 4 days.

gtirjoey

i have had bad luck with turbo rebuilds to, if i ever have to buy a turbo again i would only get a brand new unit as my 3071 i bought brand new has lasted years now road and a bit of track and no sign of wear or anything..

bob the builder

well andy you have sealed the deal for me. was going to ask about yours. also have only heard good things about turbo force.
got the call today, 350 for the rebuild with new compressor and shaft(plus the dreaded vat) so going to take the plunge .
as long as it lasts a year or so and many track days it will give me time to think about an upgrade.also means i might get a couple of more track days in this year.

just like to thank everyone for all there imput and advice, it is much appreciated.