look at this mess lol

P

pulsarboby

picked up a customers car the other day for a rebuild, he said the engine had locked up and that the thing may have jumped a rocker so initially we thought it may just be a case of putting a new rocker etc in there so would have been a cheap get out for him.

anyway whilst working on the engine one of the lads noticed this:shock:

so thought to myself....Mmmmm! that shouldnt really have a hole there:lol:
so we stripped the engine to find this

gotta say this is without doubt the most catastrophic, destructed engine ive ever come across on a gtir:lol:
think we can safely say the thing is trashed, the block has also cracked away from liner, not even bothered unbolting the bottom end

P

pulsarboby

Is that rappiddd Pullsaarrr's off the Mods site? LOL

nah he can still pull 4 billion bhp with 3 pistons:lol:

Must of been going some to do all that!
evidentally not

was fitted with some weird pistons too and supposedly rebuilt in japan with 86.2mm pistons (which ive never heard of) but the sizes do match what the paperwork said

Last edited by a moderator:

Pulsey

nah he can still pull 4 billion bhp with 3 pistons:lol:

evidentally not

was fitted with some weird pistons too and supposedly rebuilt in japan with 86.2mm pistons (which ive never heard of) but the sizes do match what the paperwork said
Why not? There must been some Fairly high RPM going to do that amount of damage

Smo

Holy christ - I've never seen an engine failure quite as catastrophic as that!

P

pulsarboby

wow, let us know what went wrong Bob if you can , just for fun?

basically the engine had dropped a valve!
may have been caused through throwing a rocker initially which in turn held a valve spring down and allowed the retaining collets to come out then the valve simply dropped into the cylinder....this in turn then completely snapped the valve next to it.
the floating valve stems in the cylinder then smashed the piston to pieces which allowed the conrod to drop out the bottom of liner (when at bottom of stroke) and go straight through the side of block.

personally i reckon the guy mis shifted when gear changing which would have sent rpm rocketing causing valve bounce.
anything over 8000rpm can cause valve bounce especially on old springs.

ive seen this type of thing before on bike engines and high revving engines but never on a gtir.
normally when a rod goes through the block it lets go at the crank end and not the piston end lol

gtirjoey

i done this to my b16a vtec civic from an over rev(it had no limiter),the only differance was bits of the valve went up the inlet manifold and scattered across all four cylinders and totally fucked it lol catastrophic damage...