life expectency of twin plate clutch

zia

what would people assume is the life expectency of twin plate clutch? mainly street and occasional drag use?

zia

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
zia said:
what would people assume is the life expectency of twin plate clutch? mainly street and occasional drag use?

zia

Depends on the type of clutch...

Organic or Ceramic...? Did you have any particular one in mind...?

Some don't like being slipped and fail quickly when done... Others are designed to be more user friendly and last a lot longer when used in normal driving environments...

Rishi

zia

well suppose it has ceramic plate's like my os giken. going by estimate of the mileage it's perhap's done and drawing comparison between thickness of brand new plate's and the plate's that come out of mine recently and have done i would guess 8k mile and few luanch's it seem that the life expectency fall short of what it should be.

zia

Rishi

Hmmm.... Well i think the Ceramic ones actaully last less time than the organic twins...

Organic twins like to be slipped but with ceramic, slipping them even just a little can drop the life expecancy...

Most ceramic twin plate clutches are considered race spec and will never last too long in normal driving conditions... For that you really need the organic twin plate clutches...

Rishi

Rishi

stevepudney said:
Can you get organic plates for the OS Giken twin then ??

TBH i thought that they all were organic judging buy the rating and the fact that they need to be so large...

Rishi

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
The plates in mine a defo ceramic, or if not they looked the same material that was on the HKS Cerimetalic Paddle I was replacing.

Most ceramic plates make the trade mark "wookie" noise on engagment anyway and mine does that to.

I was just wondering if OS Giken organic plates were available as these wouldn't make the "wookie" noise and be a little better for a high power everyday driver.

zia

haven,t seen any organic listed at all. in real world driving condition how do not get away without slipping it. i.e traffic congestion/hill start's/three point turn's :lol:.on my daily drive to work majority of time is spent in crawling traffic and waiting to pull out of junction's with chewbacca going crazy. another alternative is carbon plate's but again not listed/available :cry:

zia

ChrisS

Not sure what plates are in mine. Used to get the 'wookie' noise until i changed the worn slave cylinder. Since then its practically disappeared, unless trying to creep in traffic. I dont use mine everyday though so traffic isnt a big problem.

zia

oh and would anyone like to guess the thickness between brand new and worn plate's? :twisted:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Going on past investigations the plates on my OS Giken were 6mm when new. On roughly 10 k daily road driving miles the plates had worn down to 5mm. That's with no track, strip or launching, just the daily grind of our roads.

I have found that after a good thrashing the "wookie" noise goes away for while but comes back slowley. The OS Giken ceramic plates do accomodate some slipping after getting used to the way it bites so obviously not as easy as some but as far as I'm concerned it's a brilliant bit of kit.

zia

when new they come with 4mm they are considered worn at....
3mm !!!! :shock: at 2.5 you,ll be touching the flywheel with the metal area of the plate
that's a 1mm difference's

zia