launching info

Hill_Billy

to save it.. dont do any... in saying that.. i've done a few drag events where i side stepped the clutch at about 5.5/6k :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You don't need to side step the clutch. That's the worst way to launch if you want to save the box. In fact if you want to save the box you don't want to launch at all. If you do launch, just keep blipping the throttle at around 5500rpm+ and let the clutch pedal up quicky at the same time you plant the throttle. You'll know if you got it right.;-) If you get it wrong it'll just bog down.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
...or you could just get launch control fitted and let that sort it out for you.

R-Type

You don't need to side step the clutch. That's the worst way to launch if you want to save the box. In fact if you want to save the box you don't want to launch at all. If you do launch, just keep blipping the throttle at around 5500rpm+ and let the clutch pedal up quicky at the same time you plant the throttle. You'll know if you got it right.;-) If you get it wrong it'll just bog down.
That's the way I do it.

As stated 5500 at least and let the clutch up, if it breaks it breaks, simples.
But if ya dont have deep pockets to repair it, then dont do it :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Thats because your way is the poofs way of launching ;-)

6000 rpm and side stepping the clutch never fails, apart from when the box falls to pieces :lol:

Exactly:p To me, side stepping the clutch is shock loading the drive train and asking for trouble. Letting it up fast has a slight degree of mechanical sympathy.

PS. You just stated your best 60ft is 1.7, mine is 1.6 and in the wet. So who's way is best :hippo::rofl:

ashills

anything bigger than the stock turbo and ull need to feed it it rather than side step
you can load the transmission up on the handbrake aswell so all the play is taken up before you launch

I have done a few hard launches now by holding it at 6000 and feeding the clutch in gently....seems to work fine. Perhaps it would go better just side stepping though :lol:
I have my boost controller set to gear judge and have the boost to 0.5bar in 1st gear... just to try and and prolong the life of the box.