lambda link

CruiseGTi-R

Why do you want one, its narrowband?

If you want to know if its stoiching correctly, do the fault code check thingy and get the light flashing.

dazzamac

seen that on the link, but ma mates got a scooby, n ma other mate had a superchareged vts, both had/have em and proved very useful, so just looking to get one added in

CruiseGTi-R

The gtir lambda/ecu maintains 14.7 as best it can under low loads. When on WOT/high load it isn't used.

A lambda link will tell you only if the lambda sensor is working. Say you put your foot down and the lambda link reads 'rich', it simply means the ecu isn't using the lambda.

You could quite happily be running on the 'rich side of 14.7, but say 14.0 afr (i.e. exploding pistons after a while) and not know it.

Better to save for a wideband unit which you can tune to and monitor engine health.

(fault code mode has a lambda check with a flashing light, almost identical in operation to a lambda link and costs no more than a paperclip).

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Chiffs said:
:search:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_O23WIRE.html

:-D thats what someone on here used
The R Lambda sensor is titania rather than zirconia which are more sophisticated and more expensive (Roughly double) no matter what car its for. It says Titania in the maintenance manuals for our engine which is fairly conclusive. My Lambda was purchased from Nissan and performs like a Titania, also.

They are not interchangeable on a standard ECU or PFC so I would be interested to know if and how they got that to work.

A quick search to confirm my thinking taken from the SR20 forum, I've bolded the key point:

====================================================
All in all, you have to use the correct O2 sensor for the ECU you are running, there are two different types of o2 sesnors car manufactures use, do a search I posted info on this if wanna find out (TITANIA VS ZIRCONIA 02 SENORS) AKA Fat and Skinny, by the way TITANIA sensors are mainly used on high end cars as they are more expansive and faster responding.
charlie2020
07-30-2005, 12:52 PM

But they are not interchangable IIRC TITANIA works off of wide range of varible resistance and ZIRCONIA works off of a scale of 0-1 volt and the ECU is therefore programed accordingly to reach a specific o2 sensor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CruiseGTi-R

I think you can use a different sensor (say it goes from 0-1.4V) as long as 14.7afr is given at 0.5V (as oe sensor is). Think Ross had a replacement sensor which did this, said it worked fine.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
CruiseGTi-R said:
I think you can use a different sensor (say it goes from 0-1.4V) as long as 14.7afr is given at 0.5V (as oe sensor is). Think Ross had a replacement sensor which did this, said it worked fine.
More head exploding goodness taken from here :doh: :lol: :lol: :

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/pages/tech_info_oxygen_sensors_index.htm

Titania Sensors: The Titania element in these sensors does not produce a voltage like the Zirconia element. The property of the Titania element which allows for the detection of oxygen in the exhaust gas is its electrical resistance. The electrical resistance of the Titania element changes according to the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust gas. There is a big change in the resistance of the element when the fuel-ratio is 14.7. When a voltage is applied to the element in a voltage divider circuit, the output voltage changes with the resistance thus forming the voltage signal required to be processed by the ECU. As with the Zirconia sensor a low output voltage indicates a lean mixture and a high output voltage indicates a rich mixture. These voltages are used by the ECU for closed loop control.

As Titania sensors do not need air on one side of the element, they can be made smaller and are completely submersible. Due to their different properties Titania and Zirconia sensors should not be interchanged under any circumstance.

======================================================

So bascially the two give similar ouputs but you need to give them different inputs.

:tape2: :banplease:

Shaun

What would happen if you had the wrong one fitted?Would it cause a flatspot/spots especially if you floor the accelerator?