jimbo or someone help please

P

pulsarboby

just picked up my car today from matt roach racing after having suspension setup, 300 squid and still got the same bloody prob with it going round right hand bends

basically it squeals like boogery on driverside (which is unloadad side) say whilst going round a large roundabout at speed, on tight turns shes fine and on lefthanders shes fine.

will have to phone him again tomorrow and hopefully he can try something else as im baffled.

car checks out all straight on alignment, really puzzled with this one, ive even swapped wheels changed the hub and lower arm but all to no avail
done cross measurements on underide and alls good, new coilies been fitted and turrets are straight too:?

heeeeeeelp!

warpspeed

bearings? something caught in one of the calipers? or the sliders sticking in a caliper with a bit of grit stuck in a pad? the mice escaping from your wallet?! lol

P

pulsarboby

nope nope and nope scott, but my wallets lighter lol
ive swapped brakes, bearings etc basically the whole corners been replaced, the only thing ive not changed is the front sway bar which im thinking of trying another.

its like that side of the car is too light or maybe heavy even, first car ive ever hd with this kind of handling prob
the cars just been corner weighted too....they had it in for 2 days setting things up

it was running 3deg neg camber but theyve pulled it ack to 2 neg now and its still exactly the same.

P

pulsarboby

tyre wear is nothing unusual, slightly more wear on inner but that would be consistant to camber she was running.
front diff is stock

P

pulsarboby

yeah thanks scott one of thems a really nice pic too8)

was thinking about this last night and im wondering whether front sway bars bent so gonna try another on it, if that dont cure the prob then it could be as danny said being a prob with the front diff as i did change that a couple months ago so wondering if the one ive fitted is a bit of a dodgy item.

im gonna take it for a test drive in a minute so will know whether its the front arb or not, hopefully it is

P

pulsarboby

well that didnt work (he says as almost took the pavement out when front end washed out lol)

just spoke to the guy who done the setup and taking it back one day next week as hes gonna play around with corner weights more to try and eliminate the problem.

wheres jimbo when you need him:help:

P

pulsarboby

pulling the transferbox off now to check that front diff and replace it

il get to the bottom of this if i have to pull the thing apart piece by piece, i wont be beaten by a shitty little nissan grrrrr!

MarkTurbo

I think that should be the GTIROC's motto. Maybe write it under the main header!
It should be the motto but these days people have got no staying power and give up and break their car at the first hint of a problem :lol:

It doesn't sound like a problem that's going to have a simple fix, hope you get it sorted Bob ;-)

johnny gtir

nothing on the steering rack could cause problems ?. had similar on the van but it was tracking which is not the case here. bob corner weighting from what i know might help slightley but is kind of masking the problem and doubt personally it will cure it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Wheel bearing or hub nut? - I'm just wondering if that wheel is physically loose so it shifts as you corner.

P

pulsarboby

will find out monday whether it was the diff or not as old ones already off ready for another to replace it.

if not the only other logical thing i can think of is the steering acumen is out of sync (ie the rack)

as said.......i can take it back to them and the guy said he can play around more with the corner weights to try counteract the problem but i would rather find out the real cause rather than mask it
anyway fingers crossed that its the diff playing silly boogers

Hybrids

A bit left field, but what about O/S inner CV joint ?

(I didn't notice a posting saying you had tried different joints/shafts)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hello Bob, sorry I've been busy lately and not so active online.

Corner weighting won't be the issue. Could be tracking related but I'd be surprised as it's only happening to one side and both are setup the same. Do you have a print of the alignment/weightings so we can look for any funnies/clues. The idea about the akermann angle on the steering is sensible and worth checking on your track rod ends are roughly equal. I expect the toe you have dialled in with any change in toe and the steering you do would negate much of this but good to check.

Double check your tyre pressures and drop your dampers to 0 clicks all round just to rule them out, Count how many clicks you take off as you do it. I remember when I looked at Channy's car we found one damper was 20 clicks whilst all the others were the 5 he expected.

Your idea about the ARB is logical and it might be worth checking your drop links and mounting points are working correctly front and rear as well as they are as important in the operation of the ARB as the bar itself.

Can you give a bit more info on the squealing, is it under power? Is it on corner entry, exit or mid corner?

All interesting stuff but it could of course just be a mechanical fault somewhere as people are already suggesting.

P

pulsarboby

cheers for the reply jim, your the main man with your knowledge on this stuff8)

ok il have a replacement diff fitted tomorrow so then that will hopefully cure it but if not then im rapidly running out of ideas tbh.

akermann not accumen is the word i was looking for:oops: but thankfully you know what i mean!

ok with the handling.......im gonna describe what its doing on the road and obviously the problem is much more magnified on circuit to the point where im gonna end up in an armco barrier soon as its that bad.
basically if you take say a large smooth roundabout at speed (not to the point where your lifting rear wheel) but at a mediocre to fast speed, the n/s front tyre is squealing badly to the point of it being an embarassment.
now this is obviously not the loaded wheel which would be n/s front.
if you continue to keep your foot down and continue the turn then the front violently understeers and will wash away from you unlessyou come off the loud pedal.

i recently did donington park where this happened on craner curves at well over a 100mph, the front came away from me and when i tried to catch it the rear end violently stepped out of line as the car was completely unbalanced.
it was more through luck than skill that i managed to keep her on the track but i really need to sort this before cadwell as i will be off for sure as theres no runoff.
if its any help tighter right hand turns seem to be not as effected its mainly on high speed right handers and i can even make the tyre squeal on a straight just by going slightly on a right hand lock.

i took another r round the same roundabout and this just has gabs and lowering springs fitted yet i got round there around 15mph quicker than my car before any real tyre squeal and even then it was from loaded side not o/s.
and this is a pretty much stock gtir so theres deffo a major prob here

Last edited by a moderator: