iv got a broken car :-( help needed please

LisaZ

:cry: and i didnt break it:roll:.

Paul was driving it and the clutch pedal snapped high up and hit the floor.
paul said that they sometimes do that when worn (its been clicking for 3.5 years lol).

Im not sure what bit im needing to get so any help welcome.
wondering if it is an expensive bit or not?
I had to get my poor R AA trucked home :cry:
it seemed a bit weird having a raring to go car trailer'd home we usually only have non runners trailer'd home.

help

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Couple o' questions (seeing as I'm probably the most local)...

It's definitely the clutch pedal that has snapped? - Not the rod to the master cylinder or the bracket that holds it on?
I'd say you'll need a new clutch pedal (or at least you'll need to weld the old one up). - Do you know anyone who can do it? I'm guessing you know more people in the Mold area than me anyway. I can see if Dave Auckland (in Hawarden who did the welding on my shell) can do it if you'd like.

Mine clicks sometimes... I hope it's not an omen! I've got the support bracket installed, but that doesn't really fix 20-odd years of abuse.

Was it actually the AA, or did they send A55 towing (where Gary the owner of another black GTi-R works)?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
probably you need to weld the pedal box.
I guess that's what I was asking (or I should have been asking); is it the pedal box that has snapped (or come off the bulkhead), or is it the pedal?

The pedal is relatively easy to fix (take the pins out and replace it with a good one), the box requires welding back to the bulkhead... and that's fiddly (with a risk of setting the carpets on fire).

Trip

It is a little cramped up the pedal box. Probably it would be best to remove the drivers seat and some dashboard trimming.

Don't forget to cover the carpet up with a damp towel.

vss irvine

take the dash out to do it properly, and while your in there, weld some extra strengthening points around the bulkhead

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you want a hand, I'm happy to lend one... but I'll admit that welding is out of my skill range. I'd be prepared to give it a go, but in all good conscience I couldn't do it on someone else's car.
Taking apart things like dashboards I can do though.

Lisa, the irony of your signature has just hit me ;-)

P

pulsarboby

you may find its the pedal box thats split (common fault)...if so then we have good ones which arent expensive

but could be the mounting to bulkhead has broke which will need re-welding and strenghning, clutch fork split or maybe clutch slave or master cylinder has given up on you.

Paul R

oops lol ... well I wasn't at the time :/

it's been creaking for a bit longer than that, more like 6 or 7 years but it's only got the HKS organic clutch so not a lot of pressure, when it turned into a clunk I thought "Oh, thats weird. Not made that noise before" and turned the tunes up, 200yds later it went. Sorry dear.

I think it's the common pedal box welds coming away and not the pedal as that was intact. Moving the pedal the end part of the box by the adjuster moves along with it. Also I changed the rod fairly a couple of years back when I did the seals. Unfortunately I had an appointment so I was rescued by Lisa and then shot off in the camper van leaving her to wait for the AA bloke lol errmmm sorry again dear.

I meant to get a brace from Steve but it might need a bit more work around that area, so dash out on the weekend and see what it is like. PobodY, you're welcome to come have a laugh or hold the fire extinguisher .... I think we'll need one as the first time we used the welder Lisa welded my head :p

Mr GTiR

To take the dash out is only a 30 min job and as for welding, phone Ste S as I know he can weld and he's local to you.

Any problems call or text me.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think it's the common pedal box welds coming away and not the pedal as that was intact. Moving the pedal the end part of the box by the adjuster moves along with it.

I meant to get a brace from Steve but it might need a bit more work around that area, so dash out on the weekend and see what it is like. PobodY, you're welcome to come have a laugh or hold the fire extinguisher .... I think we'll need one as the first time we used the welder Lisa welded my head :p
Oooh you've got your own welder! You've just become a very useful man to know: MIG, TIG, or arc? As I said, I never really got the hang of it, but I understand conceptually. Tack welding is probably all that's required, and that's not too hard.

I don't have my own extignuisher, but I do a mean garden hose... I think I need to see whether Andy is expecting me to come paintballing or not on the Saturday - I've been messing him around so they may decide it's better without me.

LisaZ

Oooh you've got your own welder! You've just become a very useful man to know: MIG, TIG, or arc?

I don't have my own extignuisher, but I do a mean garden hose...
Its my welder :tongue:
Its a very small one, girly size lol but will do small patch up jobs.
Its a mig welder i thort it was best to get a mig to start with as seemed easyer to use somehow.

garden hose help sounds good lol :thumbsup:.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Its my welder :tongue:
Its a very small one, girly size lol but will do small patch up jobs.
Its a mig welder i thort it was best to get a mig to start with as seemed easyer to use somehow.

garden hose help sounds good lol :thumbsup:.
Wow! I'll be your new best friend... ;-)
MIG is a good place to start, you can do lots with MIG, even aluminium (so you can do intercooler pipework)! - Just don't breath in any of the gas from it... that's some nasty stuff!

Looks like I am painballing on the 14th with the Andys, but if you'd like to experience my hose wielding prowess drop me a PM with your address and when you'd like the help. - Sounds like it's Paul's job to hold the hose, and your job to weld anyway! :thumbsup: