Its all going wrong

davehadlow06

Have had my pulsar only one month now and am beggining to think i have been done pretty hard,
Had noticed oil on my drive and on inspection found main areas were the dump valve was chucking it all over the bay and some coming from hard pipe area around turbo but all was fine when running (although was told it was running 1.3 bar with only upgrades being walbro pump, k'n filter, dumpvalve and bleed valve . It idles at 1500rpm which seems ok to me as drops down when car is warm.

The turbo has now lost alot of pressure as dumpvalve is not sounding atall and car seems very sluggish but no blue smoke or smoke of any kind present so has me stumped.

Also on something which feels unrelated the dials have started to play up as they keep dropping to zero randomly and dance around from time to time.

Thinking of getting turbo refurbed but any help on both of these issues would be much appreciated. Am a service technician so can undertake most repair work just need pointing in right direction.

frp

Have you tried cleaning the oil and replacing the DV ?? (cheaper than refurbing your tubby)
Dials: Common fault probably a loose connection, Id replace these with a known set in good working order. Not expensive and doesnt take long to swap.

Steve

paz

Re: the dials, if you have white ones fitted a lot of the time people fuck it up when doing so and cause similar problems. As per the above, just get them changed over.

Engines are not me, so can't help.

davehadlow06

Have those white dials u mentioned. Is it worth taking off and checking connections as am on d2 coilovers and get a hell of alot vibrations throught dash.
Cleaned the oil but is losing about 1 litre per 2 weeks, Would have thought that if turbo seals gone would have loadsa smoke???
Will try cleaning dumpvalve but still worried about this lost boost. Can dumpvalve affect that??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If your turbo seals are ok, then I'd guess it was coming from the crank case and getting pushed-over into the intake pipe... then it's pooling in th BOV (because that's a nice low-point just before the plenum where it could collect as the air speed slows down) and draining out through it.
Having said that, I would have thought you'd end-up burning some of it.

Do you know what state your head is in? I think it's probably flat, and the gasket is fine... but maybe the ringlands on your pistons are on the way out? - Can you get a catch can and put it in between the crank case breather and the inlet hose, just to see how much oil it collects; at least that will keep it out of the induction hoses.

If the gauges were working, and now aren't, I'd take 'em out and jiggle the connectors a bit to see if they've just pulled loose.
Cleaning the dump valve won't hurt it, and if it is full of oil then it's probably not working as it should anyway (and may be bleeding the boost off).

What ECU/fuelling are you running? 1.3bar is too high for a standard ECU, so I hope it's after-market or god only knows what your micture is doing.

It doesn't sound like your turbo's too healthy, you may be right with that one, see if theres oil in your intake pipes from your turbo to inlet manifold, if theres lots i would say its pretty much dead, if its only slight it may just be on its way out! An easy way to check this is to take the intake pipe off the turbo and feel the turbine for play, it will probably have a little bit up and down but this should only be about a mil or two, if its exessive its dead. there should also be no movemen accross the shaft, if you try push that in and out and it has quite a bit of play, again , its seen better days!
As for your dials the first thing i'd check is the connections under the bonnent, if you stand in front of the car there is a fuse box on your left with 3 or 4 connection blocks in front of it, check all those are clean and all connected properly!
Hope that helps

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
So what boost are you running now if you've lost alot?
Check your actuator hasn't come off.
Check none of the boost hoses have come off or split. (I think it would be worse than you describe if they had)
Check the vacuum connection to the dump valve.

Have you done a faul code check?

snoon

If it has turned sluggish all of a sudden I'd be doing a fault code check to be sure it isn't a sensor problem

davehadlow06

After alot of tinkering have found that the cheap (found its a cheapy from ebay) dumpvalve is shagged and is buzzing. will get a new one tomoz , which is best? going to also have the boost turned this weekend to but after disconneting bov all is well again. As for the oil does anyone know where is good toeither get recon unit or reconing mine for less than 500quid.
Gonna take dials out and try the connections aswell as under bonnet
Cheers for the help guys

snoon

for the price you pay to get the turbo rebuilt your better just looking out for 1 for sale. My last turbo rebuild was over £500. You can get a brand new 3071 from the US for around £800/900 i bet!