is this a good clutch?

S

Sirnixalot

Spec isnt sure that their clutches fit the GTi-R. I know as ive called them.

Also an AP or Helix cerametallic puck clutch will handle drag racing better than every day useage.

How is this you say? Well when you are driving on the street you usually are slipping the clutch....or trying to at least. This (as the term implies) lets the cluthc slip over the flywheel and pressure plate. This causes all 3 items to wear prematurely. Where as in drag racing the clutch does very little slipping.

IIksog...i would personally rather change a clutch every once in a while than to chang gear boxes that often :wink:

I will be doing my damndest to get the 440bhp which my turbo is capable of supporting....all on my lowly little AP Organic clutch....till i can afford a PAR or Quaiff gear set. Even then i will use the OS Giken with organic plates.

A

Anonymous

kevgti-r said:
so my hks clutch must be special its taken over 100 6k launches and is still going strong :lol:
you are not helping :evil:

if you have zero torque and an organic clutch,you`ll be able to do as many drag starts as like without wearing out the clutch.

if you`ve got decent torque ie >330lb/ft and a paddle clutch of any make,it`ll wear out in no time at all.

another factor on wear is whether the car is a daily driver or not as nix said.

Jamesw

My new standard clutch must be good to as I launched that a few more than 20 times at anywhere between 5000 rpm and the limiter :shock: , when trying to get the launching technique right at santapod!! :oops: :oops: and it still held together, not on standard power either, I have a feeling it was due to only haveing 14's on though!! :oops:

A

Anonymous

Jamesw said:
My new standard clutch must be good to as I launched that a few more than 20 times at anywhere between 5000 rpm and the limiter :shock: , when trying to get the launching technique right at santapod!! :oops: :oops: and it still held together, not on standard power either, I have a feeling it was due to only haveing 14's on though!! :oops:
with those piddly little wheels on,you`ll just be spinning the torque away :D

the std clutch would just be slipping the torque away anyway.the std clutch can`t even cope with more than about 250lb/ft.

any idea the kind of spec req`d for >330lb/ft of torque :?:

Jamesw

managed a 1.7 odd 60 ft time, but I only had 250 ish lb/ft of torque, just about enough to launch a fourwheeled drive car, with not much wheelspin :lol:

I would imagine it would have to be one fook off big bill for the engine rebuild to gain 350 lb/ft of torque, and slightly different approach to launching than the said method above, but if your game and as you have the vehicle then I could always learn how to launch such a car :p :p :wink: and we could see a ten second R go!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I am always trying!!!!