Is my front exit exhaust legal? With flaming picture for your troubles.

k20 gtr

I haven't had an mot since i fitted this, and will soon be time its getting mot'd again after a restoration.
I have looked into it, as long as its securely mounted, not past the arch and not excessively loud then its okay...... but i have read conflicting reports that it has to exit behind the front axle and what is classed as excessive, is there a DB limit in place for the mot / vosa / the police?

Any of you guys running one had problems.

:nono:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would guess it's down to the tester. - Obviously it needs to pass on emissions etc (and I don't know if such a short run has any effect on that), but I didn't think there were hard and fast rules about how noisy is too noisy.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think if the police saw it flaming like that on the road they'd pull you. As for its' legality, I'm not sure.

bracpan

The limit for our comp cars is 105db's and thats at 3/4 max revs...I tested a Pulsar with a front exit with a sound meter and it was over that limit on tickover...that gives you an idea of the sound level.

It could fail an mot for the fact alone its not standard, and emits more noise than a standard exhaust, would a tester actually fail it? I wouldnt.
you can expect to get fined by the police for it tho unfortunaly

johnny gtir

my 3" system side exit infront of rear wheel failed tester said it was to loud but (excesive noise) never asked what the limit was. Its emission test is done at idle so must take it from tick over

Fusion Ed

Had customers cars pass with exhausts like that at MOT time. I don't have a friendly MOT tester either...

gl3nn

Mine passed and I haven't been pulled by the police yet, however from my understanding it is illegal and I'm sure if you had the right police man he would prob be an arse

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The requirement is simply that it doesn't make significantly more noise than a standard exhaust in average condition. - That's easy to define on a newer car, but much harder on a 20-something year old import.

I think we've now got past the "boy racer" image for the GTiR, and they're regarded as "classic" or "enthusiast" cars now; they seem to get less negative attention these days (think of ~5 years ago when there were threads about how "I got pulled over and the police gave me a hard time").