Internet Explorer 10 (64bit) / Windows 8 Problems with Return / Enter Key

Mad

Hi All,

I have come across a problem so thought I would share.

If you are using Internet Explorer 10 (64bit) with Windows 8, there is a technical error with vbulletin websites such as www.gitroc.com where the Return or Enter Key does not work.

If you have this problem, use firefox or google chrome as it works fine until the fix is sorted by vbulletin or please let me know how you fixed it.

vomitt

are you using the internet explorer app or the actual internet explorer from desktop view (looks like ie on windows 7), I think the whole app thing is rubbish, but I run in desktop mode and do things "manually" almost

lakeview

im using windows 8 and so far its by far the best version of windows.but i dont use internet explorer i use firefox and seems fine too me

Mad

Sorry, I meant to say windows 7 and IE10, not 8.

It would see that IE10 is the problem as works fine on firefox

MarkTurbo

Who uses Internet explorer these days anyway, even with my limited computer knowledge i know Internet explorer is a load of crap :lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You still need it to access windowsupdate.microsoft.com - That's about all I use it for.

vomitt

Internet explorer works perfectly fine when you dont load it up with toolbars and addons. people check the boxes to get a free toolbar added with a piece of software, IE gets really slow and hangs/crashes and then they complain about the tool when really its user error. Also because IE is on the majority of computers worldwide it gets targeted for these "free addons"

Mr B

Not needed for windows update, that can be done direct from control panel.
Windows 8 is not that great & won't be popular in the business sector as just too many driver issues & lack of backward compatibility that made 7 a dream to use. 8 desktop looks great in our local fortune town IT mall display but reality is it not that useful or currently friendly in migration setup & current hardware plus legacy hardware support.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Internet explorer works perfectly fine when you dont load it up with toolbars and addons. people check the boxes to get a free toolbar added with a piece of software,
I assure you that I don't; there's the obligatory extensions like Flash if you want to be able to access pages that use it, but I do not install anything that I don't absolutely have to; certainly not toolbars. I don't even let Windows update download and install unsupervised (which it why I still use the site).

I still have more compatibility problems with IE than I do with Firefox or Chrome, so I prefer not to use it unless it's a site that only works in IE.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Their are so many MS services running in the background attached to explorer the only proper fighting chance it gets is when it's clean and new, then over time, as said above toolbars get installed along with tons of spyware and malware which drag it down further then just to top it off windows update (xp & Vista) will screw up and hog every last drop any memory your system might have had, then it all grinds to a halt (format reload time) It's a known fact in the trade that MS produce a crap OS (for the general public to do the R&D on) pretty much every other issue, you wait the second revision of Win 8 should (not holding my breath) be better, Meanwhile, just like XP Pro did, Win 7 will bridge the gap for business use

Oh and Chrome is crap as well :lol:

At the end of the day MS don't do to bad a job ....take away OS X and the world would quite happily continue to spin take away MS and Linux and the world would very quickly come to a grinding halt..

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I will rephrase that then, Win 8 is not crap, it's very non-intuitive and being designed for touchscreen does not lend itself so well to non touchscreen desktop or laptops

Fusion Ed

Interesting thought. I find it works fine on desktop, and not as good on normal laptops. They have oversimplified mail too much which annoys the hell out of me, but I do think it has potential. Also find it very very fast. Boot times faster than my old bios was! New pc will help there however.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
take away OS X and the world would quite happily continue to spin
You mean "Free BSD compiled for Apple systems"? - I still think that's cheeky; Steve Jobs plays with open source code, and suddenly it's a propitiatory OS?
Yes, people might discover that it's much like Linux but with a much prettier front-end (there's no debate about the GUI.

I tend to only go to Chrome when some update brakes Youtube (or similar).