inlet manifold removal.

stugtir300

Evening all,ive come to the conclusion that ill have to remove the inlet manifold to get access to the back of the engine to change the hoses,ive done some searching on the forum for previous posts on the issue,I couldn't find any how to's to make it easier and problem free,so if anybody has any ideas/info or a how to then feel free to post,any info would be much appreciated.

Jon Olds

Horrible job. I deleted all the tickover control stuff down the back to make my rally car easier to maintain. Havent looked back since.
Jon

MarkTurbo

Whether you've got the Y bracket on the back of the engine or not dictates how hard it is. If somebody has left it off it's not actually that bad ;-)

stugtir300

Morning all,i was under the car a few day's ago and I didnt see the y bracket,would it be wise to get a new inlet gasket or should I reuse the old one,if I need a new one where is the best place to get one,when I have the manifold off what other jobs should I do before I refit it.

warringtonjack

If it's coming off anyway, (and you can find one) you could put a PTFE gasket on it to help reduce temps in the inlet manifold. 8)

shroom

Found this whilst searching on the forum

From post http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/manifold-inlet/23920-inlet-mani.html

Hopefully this will help you out, I looked at doing this but paid someone to do it for me as I'm a lazy ass

Well you'll enjoy this then :lol:
Remove the intercooler if still top mounted
remove the throttle cable
remove the vacuum hoses and brackets that connect to the rocker cover and inlet manifold
Disconnect the wiring to the injectors etc
disconnect the fuel lines to the fuel rail (carefully as they'll have pressure in them)
remove the dump valve pipe that comes off the plenum
remove the bracket that holds the power steering pipe to the back of the inlet
remove the plenum chamber cover this will require a cut down allen key or allen key bit and spanner this can be quite arkward to do :wink:
with the plenum off you can undo the bolts that hold the plenum to the Y shaped bracket on the back of the engine.
Now here you have the option to remove the Y shaped bracket or struggle with it in place a bit if you decide to remove it you'd be best to jack the car up remove the downpipe and oil filter and undo the bolts through the gap where the oil filter is theres also a few pipes and wires clipped to the Y bracket that need removing
Once the Y bracket is out of the way you can unplug the wires from the idle control valve and warm up regulator valve.
you can now unbolt the manifold from the head getting to the bottom bolts is arkward and is easiest with a rachet spanner available from Halfords once you have loosened the bolts its best to let them drop as there not magnetic but the washers are so can be removed with a magnet :wink: the manifold should now be loose but you will now need to remove the pipes from underneath it that go to the warm up regulator valve and this is probably the hardest part and even harder to get back on :roll:
Refitting is the reverse of above exceptI use magnetic nuts to refit the manifold as they can be positioned with a magnet and twisted on with your finger tips
This is only the sorta job you would tackle if your confident in your abilities as its not easy to say the least tbh its probably easier to remove the engine to do it but will obviously take longer :(

I'm sure I've missed a few things to so expect so head scratching moments lol

stugtir300

Evening all,ive been browsing the gizzmo usa website,it lists the thermal intake gasket for our rot boxes,ive emailed them to see if there in stock and if we could get a group buy going if anyone is interested,the price on their site said 89usd whatever it is in pounds I aint sure but a little discount would be nice,ill let you all know if they reply to my email.

stugtir300

evening,what should i look to do when ive removed the inlet,ie back of the engine,inlet etc,to tidy things up and to make maintainence easier.

stugtir300

Inlet now off, some swear words, bleeding knuckles and fingers involved in the removal but glad I got it off so I can sort the hoses at the rear of the engine (bout time I got my finger out), now what jobs should I do to make maintainence easier in the future, hopefully it'll be easier to put back on.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Having just started to put the hoses back on mine, I can say that it is easier. - There are a couple that are a bit hard to get on, but it's still less trouble than it was trying to get them off.

I also swapped the DET sensor whilst I could get to it. - I don't think there was anything wrong with the old one, but I had the part.

stugtir300

Any advice on what I can use to clean the manifold inside and out before I refit it,can I/should I use carb cleaner internally and brake/clutch cleaner externally.i have read that coke is good for removing stubborn dirt and grease/oil.

Dangerous Dave

Coke is good but you will have to soak the parts to get a good finish.

Carb rb cleaner will be fine for the inside and out to be honest just depends how clean you want it to look?

stugtir300

I want to get it as clean as I can,I know it wont be surgically clean,but while its of I might aswell give it a scrub,I also noticed a hose coming from the transfer box going to no where,does anyone know what its for or where it needs to go.