Injector Question

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
No sweat, they're just gathering dust on my shelf.

Disconnect your lambda to see if it cures your hestitation problem. Your lambda may not be the cause as your poor emissions could be a function of something else. Of course your lambda could be stuffed too :D

antgtir

campbellju said:
No sweat, they're just gathering dust on my shelf.

Disconnect your lambda to see if it cures your hestitation problem. Your lambda may not be the cause as your poor emissions could be a function of something else. Of course your lambda could be stuffed too :D
Surely if i disconnect the Lambda Sensor the emissions will inherantly go wrong as a result of the ECU getting no readings for adjustment?

Ant.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I just meant to try it to see if your hesitation improves. I can't say I've seen a problem with a car going from closed loop to open loop control when you press the throttle but I'm not saying it doesn't exist because logically it could. If you disconnect the sensor it can't do closed loop anymore. So if you disconnect it and the hesitation has gone then you know the lambda is the problem. Otherwise your lamabda might be wrong but you've got another problem as well, (ignition, fuel, air).

I run my PFC in open loop as the closed loop control keeps going rich/lean whilst in open loop its more stable around 14.7. This took a lot of fettling though and a standard map wouldn't necessarily be as accurate. When a Lambda sensor is failing it can make the situation worse rather than better which is why your emissions can go completely to pot.

Being honest its been a few years since I've played with the standard ECU and I can't remember what the failure mode is for no lambda but I'm sure a quick search will help. Besides, it'll take as long to disconnect the sensor as it will to find the info in the manual ;-)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
antgtir said:
if you lightly run through that gear with the accelerator you can feel the car hesitate / hold back slightly.
That's what makes me think its not the lambda, if you are accelerating then the ECU shouldn't go closed loop.

Like I said before, it doesn't mean that your lambda is perfect either ;-)

antgtir

As a quick first step in between other jobs lol i took the dizzy cap off and cleaned up the terminals plus cleaned the rotor arm up. There was a bit of crap on there but nothing i would call major, put it all back and its still doing the same thing:roll: oh well i suppose i was hoping a bit to much lol.

Next i think i may change the leads as its prob been a good 2.5 to 3 years since the last change so it could still be something as simple as a break down in one of the leads:?

I may try the lambda sensor disconnection experiment see if that improves things;-)

The ECU check came up ok so none of the sensors that are linked to the check are buggered, the hunt continues:roll:

Ant.