Injector failure

cherry1809

Not really Gti-R related,but all the Primera sites are pretty shite for response....

Cars been parked up since September/October,and now it won't start.
Checked the spark,and there's fuel in the rail and back to the fuel reg (pumps working fine too) Doesn't seem like the injectors are opening though,as the spark plugs remain dry after repeated attempts at starting.Any ideas?

P

pulsarboby

possibly a fault with the fuel cut off device, which will keep injectors closed for safety reasons.
check power to injector solenoids with a multimeter to make sure they are pulsing!
if not, then take a good look at earth connections, also the fuel cut off!

cherry1809

Just checked the power to the injectors,and it's constant,even with the key out.
Doesn't pulse when turned over either.Should it?

cherry1809

Okay,supposed to be constant.
Pulses on the negative side.

Anyone have any other ideas? Bear in mind this didn't start happening,it just happened after a park up.

P

pulsarboby

remove an injector to physically see whether fuel is spraying or not!
then you will know for certain

chrism

Take out an injector and take it to bosch or the likes and get them to check the function.If it works there then the problems elsewhere.

cherry1809

Worth a thought,cheers.
May investigate the fuel pump further yet.May be pumping,but not at the 45 psi it needs.

Fusion Ed

You can try feeding 12v to the injectors directly and seeing if they open. I have had brand new (RC) injectors in the past stick (wth!?!) and cleared them by putting 12v directly on to them.

Keira

cherry1809 said:
Can't,they're side feed.It'll leave the fuelrail open : (
pull the plugs, place newspaper over the rocker cover, get someone to hold it down and turn the car over,

any fuel injected into the cylinder will show itself it on the paper or not as the case maybe

Mr GTiR

I know this sounds silly but can you hear the fuel pump priming itself when you switch the ignition on? Have you tested the wiring to teh pump to make sure it's getting a signal to see if the pump is working?

I would start at the back and work your way to the front of the car.

cherry1809

Pumps making a noise yeah,but it doesn't sound happy.
I remember it being a sort of fast buzz,now sounds like a low whirring noise.
I'm getting fuel up front,but at what pressure is anyones guess.
Car ran briefly on Easy start,so everything else is sound.

Fusion Ed

You can see if the pump is priming to more than 3 bar by disconnecting the return pipe from the rail and running a pipe to a fuel can or something. When you turn on the ignition and the pump primes you would get fuel coming out of this pipe. If you don't get to 3 bar (minus manifold pressure) then you wont see anything on the return.

Ed

cherry1809

Micra Ed said:
You can see if the pump is priming to more than 3 bar by disconnecting the return pipe from the rail and running a pipe to a fuel can or something. When you turn on the ignition and the pump primes you would get fuel coming out of this pipe. If you don't get to 3 bar (minus manifold pressure) then you wont see anything on the return.

Ed
Thanks bud.Just pulled the pipe on the return from the fuel reg. and got zilch.
If the fuel regulator was jammed,it'll still push fuel to the engine right? So i'm guessing it's the pump.
Any news on the pump? 'Mr GTiR' : )

Braveheart

Is it fitted with alarm and has it de-immoblised ok or is it like my bike alarm which placed it's self into hybernation because I left the battery off and some capacitor inside the alarm when tooooo low in V.
The alarm could be linked in many ways!

cherry1809

Braveheart said:
Is it fitted with alarm and has it de-immoblised ok or is it like my bike alarm which placed it's self into hybernation because I left the battery off and some capacitor inside the alarm when tooooo low in V.
The alarm could be linked in many ways!
No,there ok. : ) Was the pump.

Payment sent : )

cherry1809

Sheeeeeeet.
Changed pump (now have no skin left on hands) now got fuel post pump....still nothing though.
Crusty injectors?