Im entering a Drag racing event this weeknd will my R be alright?

C

Coffey

Hi everyone. Im entering a Drag racing event this sunday at Dakota Raceway. It is only 1/8th of a mile so not a full 1/4 but have heard that its not good to launch pulsars to often? I have only had the car for 3weeks this friday so am still learning about them. I have never launched it but will obviously have to at the drag racing so wondered if I should be worried or will my car be fine? I will only be doing about 4 runs all day I should imagine.

Also what would you say the best RPM to launch it at is to get a good time?

Cheers

Dan

nex

Bit of an open ended question really that one! I would tend to say its not overly a great to launch any car as its puts extra strain on the entire drivetrain........how the car will bear up to it depends on your setup and what bits are on the car.

C

Coffey

Yea I know its a pretty open ended question sorry lol just wanted to ask even if its hard to answer. My car has afew bits and pieces done to it and should be running about 325-330BHP now. It has a max street organic clutch which should help over a standard clutch. I suppose I will just have to see how she does on the day.

warringtonjack

The reliability will be a question of how much torque you're putting out, what gearbox you have, and what clutch you're using (and if we're really getting down to it, the size and weight of your wheel/tyre combo!). :roll:

ALternatively, stop being such a woman, hold revs at 6k, sidestep the clutch, plant the right foot, and get it done! :thumbsup:

snoon

Should that be when it breaks fix it!!!

No only kidding. 4.5K and side step the clutch. Should be fine as long as it hasn't been abused. Some people on here have been launching their R's for years with no probs. But I'm sure there are also people who's broke on the first launch.

I only launch mine when at the 1/4 mile - but I still have that doubt in the back of my mind that it will be going home on a flat bed!!

You'll love it first time you get a good launch - nothing like it!!

John

Launch around 5k and you shouldnt have any problems unless you go and miss a gear :doh:. Take a AA card with you just incase though!

bracpan

Dont side step the clutch, blip the throttle around 4500 to 5500 rpm then let it out quick as the revs are rising.
This way is a little kinder than just side stepping it.
Warrigtonjack has seen me leaving the line uphill in the poring rain to get quikest 60ft of the day so I know it works and does not brake things.( well so far.lol)
Good luck
Phil

P

pulsarboby

bracpan said:
Dont side step the clutch, blip the throttle around 4500 to 5500 rpm then let it out quick as the revs are rising.
This way is a little kinder than just side stepping it.

totally agree with that, side stepping is murderous and pointless imo

C

Coffey

Cheers for all the replys guys :) I wont be side stepping the clutch as want to be slightly kinder to the car :) Im hoping to do pretty well to be honest I know last time the even was held the 2nd and 3rd fastest cars of the day were both Pulsars :) Get some pretty good prizes for doing well :) so finger crossed.

So you all recon if I launch it at about 4.5-5k revs that should be best?

Again thanks for all your help guys dont want to sound like a woman being worried about launching it but I would hate to brake her after only owning it for 3 weeks lol, I will remember my AA card though

GTi-R23

Yeah between 4.5-5K, obviously every car is slightly different, if you bog down too much on your first run, then you'll know to feed in a few more revs next time etc, it's a learning curve.

Never side stepped my clutch and never would, that to me is totally brutal, no wonder peoples boxes break trying to transfer 300horses through all 4 wheels with a ton sitting on them in a split second. Would love to have a go in someone elses though:lol:

bracpan

GTi-R23 said:
Yeah between 4.5-5K, obviously every car is slightly different, if you bog down too much on your first run, then you'll know to feed in a few more revs next time etc, it's a learning curve.

Never side stepped my clutch and never would, that to me is totally brutal, no wonder peoples boxes break trying to transfer 300horses through all 4 wheels with a ton sitting on them in a split second. Would love to have a go in someone elses though:lol:

Yes totaly agree with 4 wheel drive thing, although I used to sidestep the clutch on my Turbo Mini, but it has a ceramic clutch and a full dogbox.

Most of all have fun and get it home in one piece.
Cheers
Phil

warringtonjack

Sidestepping is less brutal with ickle light wheels, cos then you spin all 4 instead of popping the box! Granted no good for a launch, but does stop you bogging down. The other thing to remember is, you wont get it perfect first time, so just learn from the feel of the car whether you need more revs, quicker clutch release etc, and change it slightly the next time you go!

I bet Phil's 60fts are a lot better now than they were when he first started racing the R. ;)

C

Coffey

I have 17" wheels but they are lightweight ones :) I will just keep trying different techniques and see how I get on,on the day. I dont think I will be sidestepping the clutch though. I will have acouple practice launches 2night if I get chance and see how it feels.

MarkTurbo

Might see you up there as i only live a few miles away from the airfield. I still cant decide whether to dig my sunny out and try and break something though :lol: The handling course is meant to be bigger this time so might be worth going.

pulsarboby said:
side stepping is murderous and pointless imo
I've always found it to be the quickest way of getting my car off the line ;-) It helps if you dont care if your gearbox ends up as a heap of broken metal though :lol:

johnsy

try try and try again its the only way to learn..............................................bang you ve broke summit exspensive lol

C

Coffey

Hello mate :) yea come down would be cool to say hello :) I only live about 30mins away from the air feild so live pretty close 2. I Will be in the black pulsar, pictures in one of my posts on the new members section :) If your there come say hello

MarkTurbo

Just decided when i get home from work in a bit i'm going to sort my car out ready for tomorrow, might as well go and waste some optimax :lol: See you there ;-)