Idle and fuel control-anyone know?

Davey

Does anyone know what controls the idle, and fuelling on the 'R?
I know you have an AAC valve, and another similar valve to control the idle, a lambda sensor, AFM,and of course the ECU.
Have i missed anything, and does anyone know how it all works?
Any websites anywhere that would explain it to me?

moved to problem

A

ard1ey

Ok fella, you've asked for it :D Are you sitting comfortably......

ECCS Control Unit - the ECU

Crank Angle Sensor - monitors engine speed & piston position, sends signals to ECU to control fuel injection, ignition timing, etc.

Air Flow Meter - measures the amount of air being drawn into the engine

Engine Temperature Sensor - tells ECU coolant temperature for cold enrichment, etc.

Throttle Sensor (incorporating Soft Idle Switch) - reads throttle position, soft idle controls fuel cut when accelerator is released

Fuel Injectors - guess what these do :)

Pressure Regulator - maintains fuel pressure at a set level so injectors supply the correct amount of fuel

Exhaust Gas Sensor - Lambda sensor, controls mixture. Does not work during high-load operation, deceleration, idling or when its broke

Air Regulator - provides an air bypass to give fast idle when the engine is cold

Auxiliary Air Control (AAC Valve) - controls the idle speed after the engine is warmed up. Is part of the Idle Air Adjusting (IAA unit), along with the FICD and the idle screw

Fast Idle Control Device (FICD) - increases idle speed when air conditioner is turned on or power steering is turned

If you want to know how each part works as part of the whole system, I'd suggest getting a CD copy of the manual (vol. 1). There's pages of this stuff for fuelling, idle, ignition timing, etc.

Hope this helps you mate, :shock: