how will a front mount affect the rad efficiency?

boucherie

im looking to fit my top mount as a front mount, but am worried that by fitting the top mount directly in front of the rad it will effect the efficiency of the rad and possibly make the temps higher.
I have been in discussion with my mate about making a rad that will be better equipped to deal with any problems. (ie fitting better fans to aid cooling)
Generally speaking has anyone noticed their cooling temp rise when fitting a front mount?

cheers

boucherie

kool, thats good then, just got to find a way to move the rad down by about an inch or so to get a better pipe run in!!

A

AndrewD

it makes no difference now because your cooling system is designed to operate at the worst possible conditions ie high load and high inlet temps

it will however make a difference at that condition for several reasons:

1. you raise the inlet temp
2. you decrease flow and increase restrictions
3. you change the inlet pressure and hence change the heat transfer coefficient

but unless your at that condition or modify it highly you should be ok

ps: in any radiator setup the limiting factor is airflow through radiator ;)

Davey

Yeah, Nad is right :? :shock: :wink:
I think I saw an increase in oil temps with a front mount last summer (you will hardly ever see an increase in the water temp (because of the heat exchanger?)
As far as I can see, even if you run very little water (which I did), you will not see a change in coolant temps, but the oil will take up the excess temperature.
There have been other peeps with similar experience's, I remember reading of a couple of posts on the yahoo site :?:
Anyone who says you defo wont get an increaes in temps is wrong m8 (Imho)

boucherie

so the easiest way to be extra safe would be to fit an oil cooler either by the grill or just above the engine, so that it gets a air supply via the bonnet vent? Im guessing that this would only make the most notible difference on a hot summers day when crawling along in traffic, so considering the weather at the moment it can wait :!: :roll:

Keira

you can also make a shroud ?? that will direct air that goes round the side of the intercooler to the radiator, i think nikko did this some time ago to his..

the oil cooler is worth doing anytime of year unless you drive like a wuss :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

kieron said:
the oil cooler is worth doing anytime of year unless you drive like a wuss :wink:
and definately if you town drive a lot :wink: tbh im more worried about heatsoak from the rad and oil cooler effecting my fmic.

stu

O

Odin

You could of cause also fit a better rad as I have done :wink: :idea: .

rob

GTIR-LOZ

well my intercooler fills the space in front of the rad completely, and have noticed no difference at all i drive my car in traffic on motorways all sorts, no change in water temps on my R i think unless you are going to be running about 700 bhp you will be fine :wink: :roll:

LOU ROB

boucherie said:
im looking to fit my top mount as a front mount, but am worried that by fitting the top mount directly in front of the rad it will effect the efficiency of the rad and possibly make the temps higher.
I have been in discussion with my mate about making a rad that will be better equipped to deal with any problems. (ie fitting better fans to aid cooling)
Generally speaking has anyone noticed their cooling temp rise when fitting a front mount?

cheers
:roll: NO.
Just do it, it's a performance gain :wink:
The down side isn't worth worring about :p

A

Anonymous

LOU ROB said:
:roll: NO.
Just do it, it's a performance gain :wink:
The down side isn't worth worring about :p
not quite that easy :wink:
when going to a front mount,you will notice a very slight increase in oil/water temps but it will be very slight if you still have a std engine.

where you will notice a bigger difference with the front mount is if you bump up the output of the engine,power wise,without uprating the cooling system.

best way to go if you intend uprating the power is to follow rob's spec of the cooling system :shock: .uprated rad and iirc slimline pace rad fans (?) plus an oil cooler.

i remember 1 year at trax where the weather was really nice and sunny :D i had major problems with the engine cooling while ragging it on the circuit :twisted: .i ended up having to cut short my 20 minute session :cry: but i did have getting on for 400bhp or maybe it was nearer 300bhp :wink: :twisted:

O

Odin

oap-r said:
best way to go if you intend uprating the power is to follow rob's spec of the cooling system :shock: .uprated rad and iirc slimline pace rad fans (?) plus an oil cooler.
well I keep telling people that i'm allway's right but they don't beleave me :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oap-r said:
or maybe it was nearer 300bhp :wink: :twisted:
Proberly more like the 300bhp knowing how well your shed goes fella, Did I say goes :shock: ?. sorry I ment if it goes :wink: :lol: .

rob

Nad

vpulsar said:
Nad said:
Would that be a copper one, dont get me started :lol:

No it's a 53mm alloy rad :wink:

rob
What happened to the copper one? Glad u didnt get one, saved me writing a load of stuff, may be Kev had one then. Will go and find out.

Nad

P.S. U'll be painting that black then :wink:

A

Anonymous

vpulsar said:
well I keep telling people that i'm allway's right but they don't believe me :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i suppose even an old dog has it's day :wink: :lol: :lol: