how to measure cylinder to see if in spec for a skim??

pulsar paul

hi guys the head is off,valves are out etc.wot measuring tool is best to use to see if its in spec to be skimmed, if need be. have used a vernier but seems hard to get a accurate reading? im using a nissan manual and using head height to determine weather in spec or not? is this the rite way to go about this? it looks like its bin skimmed but not sure.getting the head pressure tested regardless,so if it does need a skim,i can get it done at the same time! wil be checking the block at some point but 1st things 1st

P

pulsarboby

dont understand what youve wrote tbh:?
what is it you want to measure, you dont skim a cylinder
do you mean skim the head?
in which case all you need is a straight rule and measure the clearance under the rule diagonally across the centre, if more than around 6-8 thou then it will need a skim
if your using a steel head gasket then there is no leaway at all the head and blockface must be pefectly flat

takumigtir

Hi Buddy not entirely sure on the reason you have stripped or the history of your engine etc but you will find the main thing and most important thing you yourself can check is the head face distortion and a general visual check of the gasket contact face, you do this with a straight edge and decent set of feeler gauges if you have them if you dont have them then dont bother get an engineering company to do it as ideally you want 0.01mm increments , the procedure for all this is in build manual including tolerances, the cylinder head height is only relevant to ensure that the head is not overmachined or over skimmed should i say

P

pulsarboby

lol youve almost copied me word for word at the same time:lol:

guess we both cant be wrong then:-D

pulsar paul

yes sorry meant cylinder head. missed out major word there! yes just want to know if it can be skimmed again? (if need be in the furture) have checked with feeler gauges and straight edge and all good!! but the head can only be skimmed so many times and was wondering how to check that its in spec and hasnt be over skimmed if u c wot i mean?? the reason im doin top end rebuild is i done sniffer test and it failed,plus i had to find out why the brake servo wasnt working,which i now belive was the timing. yes the inlet camshaft was out by two or three teeth and the vac was very weak,last thing i thought of checking. cheerz

Gaz gtiR

i think he means the thickness of the head before its no good?? for example on my renault 5 turdos if the head was any thinner than 73mm it was unless obviusly you ran low comp pistons... so i think that is what he means?? could be wrong tho?? :)