How reliable with more boost?

S

samellio

I'd like to know how reliable all of your cars have been running more than 1 bar.
I can see from various posts that there are quite a few people running more than 1 bar and want to find out if to run say, 1.2 or 1.4 bar, you'll be looking at a standard engine rebuild every 2k miles :?

It would be most helpful if you would put:

Boost:

Miles covered running more boost:

Mods: ( particuarly interested in people that are running standard internals)

Driving style: (eg fast road, hill climb, sprints, track days etc)

Problems: (that have been caused by extra boost)

I'm looking for more grunt and am just too worried that going past 1 bar in my car will lead to trouble and hope that some of your responses will put that worry to rest.

Thanks chaps,
Sam

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

say bye bye to your clutch right away, any boost increase will kill it.

M

memski

Oh ffs how many more times? Do a search, if you're worried about reliability put the cat back on and run as standard :roll:

R

robinsongtir

here here Mem been asked this question so many times :evil:

C

caz

thanks for the help guys..lol.
Don't worry about them misery's :D They still wasted time replying when they didn't even need to do that :wink:

Try the search feature first but to be honust I don't like it coz you get pages and pages of every post containing the words u need. But thats what its there for

M

memski

samellio said:
thanks for the help guys..lol.
Sorry dude, wasn't personal, this question is a pet hate of mine (plus I was in a foul mood when I replied :p ).

Here's my reply (purely out of guilt :oops: ):

Boost: 1.4bar

Miles covered running more boost: Around 10k

Mods: ( particuarly interested in people that are running standard internals) Standard gearbox, engine, turbo, injectors, afm. Straight through exhaust system, filter, water injection (you can count this out as it's not needed for my state of tune - 1.4 mapped without it), aftermarket bov, Power fc, AVCR, Greddy catchtank, skyline fuel pump, huge fmic, shit loads of suspension mods.

Driving style: (eg fast road, hill climb, sprints, track days etc) Commuter car, used daily. Weekend country lane blasts, soon to be trackday car once I can get insured on a diesel as 2nd car.

Problems: (that have been caused by extra boost) Smokey turbo, no problems recently, holds boost well all the way until redline and no smoke either (suspect overfilling during oil change).

I'm looking for more grunt and am just too worried that going past 1 bar in my car will lead to trouble and hope that some of your responses will put that worry to rest. Don't worry, just do it, be sensible and get it done properly, standard injectors will be good, you only need a fuel controller, boost controller, aftermarket fuel pump for 1.2bar, fmic for 1.4 and a clutch that can hold your boost :wink:

S

samellio

Thanks Mem,

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear!!
This post would be a good reference point for anyone looking to uprate boost if people would put down the info like you have!
Sam

M

memski

Yes, mods make this a sticky so I don't get pissed off again :evil: :wink:

I can recommend RC development for the tune up, other good alternatives are DP and Hiteq (no doubt you will get some PMs from people warning you off one of these tuners :lol: ). Get the Apexi gear and you will be laughing, 1.2bar minimum depending on your intercooler. Enjoy cos it is a hell of a step up from 1bar, blows you away when you first put your foot down (330bhp quoted for 1.4bar tune).

S

samellio

Just on standard everything at the mo apart from 1 bar with a bleed valve..
Shopping list so far:
Brakes to go under 15" compomotives (thinking hispec)
Oil cooler
exhaust
replacement panel air filter
fuel pump
power fc
boost controller
Clutch(helix organic i was thinking??)
1.2 bar :D :D

Anyone think i'll need anything else (like an oil catch tank)?
My car is really just a track day toy so if it doesn't brake i think we can assume it's safe to run 1.2 bar :wink:

The beauty of the beast- just been out round my local track this afternoon... drove there kicked the asre off it and drove home again no probs..The gti-r is the bargain of the century..lol