HOW OFTEN

P

PaddyPower

How often should one replace their oil. I dont mean top up, but flush and rep;lace?

zia

depend's on 1. the type of road use highway/urban? 2. the length of distance driven each day? what climate you drive in?

zia

P

PaddyPower

what are wrong ith the halfords ones? Nissan near me are not open tomorrow and it will be up on a ramp then so easier to drain.

O

Odin

3000 mile oil changes are just stupid, If your car is just a road car :roll: , Fully synthetic oil will last up to 10000 miles if it a good oil, I change mine every 6000 to 7000 mile depending on what I'v done with the car, If I do a hard track day I'll change it right after but if it's just been driven on the road I leave it to 7000 miles.

I for one am not wasting £40 to £50 worth of oil every 3000 miles that's just plan stupid :? :roll: .

My engine is still in perfect condition after 60000 hard miles :wink:

rob

mattygti-r

i try and change it every 3k if i can thou to be honest this normally happens at around 4.5k

silkolene is fine for up to that amount and the car gets treated lightly,

hence i dont "need" to change it as much as if it "gets death"

eveyrtime the oil has come out of hte car its been perfect, 8)

daz

plus to be honest i wouldnt flush it as your getting rid off all the protection and loosening up all the 'bits'

P

PaddyPower

sorry i meant drain the old oil and refill, not flush it.

I have had the cart 6 months now and have done about 5k in it so i think one is due.

A

Anonymous

vpulsar said:
3000 mile oil changes are just stupid, If your car is just a road car :roll: , Fully synthetic oil will last up to 10000 miles if it a good oil, I change mine every 6000 to 7000 mile depending on what I'v done with the car, If I do a hard track day I'll change it right after but if it's just been driven on the road I leave it to 7000 miles.
i luv you rob :shock: ,can i have your babies :p

couldn't have put it any better myself.anybody that does 3k oil changes in a road car is a mong :twisted:

P

PaddyPower

So should i wait longer then? As said previously 6 months use and about 5k.

I dont use my car for normal stuff, it is more of a car for a few drives a week for enjoyability. therefore when it does get driven and most of the 5 k it has been driven enjoyably. What would you offer me as advise?

How much oil do you kneed to fill up?

Are the filters the same as a standard sunny?

A

Anonymous

daz said:
plus to be honest i wouldnt flush it as your getting rid off all the protection and loosening up all the 'bits'
this has to be the daftest,most stoopid answer i've ever seen on here and i've seen some doozies :(

the whole point of flushing an oil system is to get rid of all the old dregs of oil and to get rid of any "bits" that might be in the system.whenever i get an oil and filter change,i always get a flush out as well.an engine flush out in conjuction with an oil change,will be the best couple of quid you'll ever spend.

skiddusmarkus

As I understand it the flush also loosens up carbon deposits that form on worn components and isn't reccomended on higher mileage engines as they are in a way protecting it from further wear.

I've been told it's ok to use on newer engines in conjunction with synthetic oil as they won't have worn as much and it has had better protection from new with the syntheitc oil.

Maybe some mechanics or the oilman can comment.