How heavy is a heavy wheel?

C

charlie

What would be considered as heavy in terms of wheels? I looked up some weights TE37 are areoun 11lbs, superleggeras just under 15 and im seriously considering a set that weigh 19lbs each. Is 19lbs a wheel going to have bad afects on handling/acceleration? or is it still light?

Thanks for your help

Charlie

A

Anonymous

when i owned a type-r, i picked up a set of SW388's by Spoon.. they weighed 8lbs a piece. keep in mind they were only 15's and cost roughly 2000US. since then every wheel ive ever bought has seemed heavy. i usually try not to go over 16lbs max.

C

charlie

these are 16s, i dont want 17's... am i gonna lose much 0-60... bearing in mind im on std items atm

C

caz

I had 17inch split rims on when I got mine, and they were VERY heavy. But I didn't notice how heavy til I borrowed Si's lightweight 16's. :shock: Wot a difference. Goy 16'' Lenso's on. Weigh about 18, and its still an amazing differnce. Honust in comparson me old ones must have been 30 :shock:

car feels great now

J

Jon T

If I've worked this out right, the standard wheels are 0.05% smaller (Circumference) than 205/40/16.

Bonus!

MarkTurbo said:
I don't think 16's with 40 profile tyres are much different in size to the standard wheels.

M

memski

However light the wheel is, you can't get away from the fact that the tyre will add a considerable amount to the unsprung weight.

Get as light weight a wheel as you can afford, but it soon becomes negligable when you weigh up the cost :?

I went from 17" Oz superleggeras with 205/40's to 16" Rays TE37s with 215/40's and didn't notice a huge improvement (just the fact that I wanted 16's on my R).

J

Jon T

Easy for you to say!, My AP's only fit under about 5 wheels without spacers! (Volks fit:()

memski said:
Get as light weight a wheel as you can afford, but it soon becomes negligable when you weigh up the cost :?

kyepan

I have recently put Ugly red Mags back on my R they weigh 5 kilos, the equivelent 15" OZ polaris were 9 kilos.

It accelerates quicker, holds the road better and is smoother to drive.
My friend has some tsw pace 17's they were much much heavier than my OZ's.

Incedentally the red wheels came on the car when the previous owner had it, they are Japanese.. so all the peeps with horrible jap wheels sitting in your garage gathering dust, may have some super light weight magnesium ones too.. its a simple way to slash some time off your 0-60, if you really don't like the colour you can get them professionally refurbished in what ever colour you like for about 200.

otter

Ive just got some 17inch comps and my mates couldnt beleive how heavy they were!
And thats just the rims!!
However after getting them on the car i can quite easily put up wid losing a bit of bottom end power.
They look superb. :D

Hkondakci

I just got my SSR Type C rims, and I now really understand what light is; probably Memski is right when considering the benefits of lighter rims for a road car; but then again it's beautiful to have rims that only weigh around 5.5kg the piece in 17'' 8) Not to mention the shere beauty of Japanese racing wheels :wink:

rgds
habib

J

jaigtir

Yeah, habib, i know what you mean. nabsq has some ssr type c in white 16" and u could lift them with 2 fingers, awesome to say the least, but expensive :shock:

Hkondakci

Wauw 16'', the should weigh 2kg or something 8) Very nice :)

The price is good considered with other European quality wheels, though; the Japanese list price for the 17'' is 45.000 JPY; we can get them for 42.500 JPY (350 euro) per piece. For the 16'' is 36.000 JPY; these we can get for 34.000 JPY (295 euro). Just an idea :wink:

cheers
habib