how do you fit a boost gauge..?

KF79GTIR

Normally in the box with the gauge and "instructions" a lenght of plastic hose and a "T" piece for plumbing it in to one of your boost pipes. Not rocket science when looked at from a different prospective.:der:

B

Beachsleeper

Very helpfull. Thats ok, If you know which pipe is a boost pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

KF79GTIR

Beachsleeper said:
Very helpfull. Thats ok, If you know which pipe is a boost pipe.
Well if you cant find your way around your engine bay then you shouldnt be trying to fit a boost gauge?
Failing that you can always search the forums there is allways a post if you look hard enough or ask the right questions.

Last edited:
B

Beachsleeper

Everyone has to learn, Its the best way, Try, Fu(k it up, Learn from it, and try again.

KF79GTIR

Beachsleeper said:
Everyone has to learn, Its the best way, Try, Fu(k it up, Learn from it, and try again.

Thats a big one to screw up & run unlimited boost with a vacume leak and then what happens?
Bang goes your engine.

KF79GTIR

Beachsleeper said:
Thats why the guy asked for, Help.

The stock boost gauge feed is located on the inside of the passenger wing it is a little black box with boost pipes running to and from it like i said search and you can locate any thingyou just have to think.

turboloon

kf79gtir wot if it was a gauge that i happened to get from a mate..?i was merely asking for advice that is the purpose of these forums to try and help one another out....beach sleeper thanks for seeing it from my side top bloke not one of these ****ing know it all trying to shoot people down at every turn...

MORF114

if you still have your factory std boost gauge and it works you can "t" into the boost sensor in the engine bay on the n/s/f wing little black box with boost pipe and electrical connector.
If that is not working you can "t" off one of the boost pipes from behind your plenum.

KF79GTIR

turboloon said:
kf79gtir wot if it was a gauge that i happened to get from a mate..?i was merely asking for advice that is the purpose of these forums to try and help one another out....beach sleeper thanks for seeing it from my side top bloke not one of these ****ing know it all trying to shoot people down at every turn...
Im not trying to shoot you down fella i am just trying to say if you dont know what your doing then it would be best to either search else where or be 100% certain what your doing because it could be an expensive mistake to make IMO.

A

Adamantium

KF79GTIR said:
Im not trying to shoot you down fella i am just trying to say if you dont know what your doing then it would be best to either search else where or be 100% certain what your doing because it could be an expensive mistake to make IMO.
lol, don't you think that is precisely why he asked the question in the first place?? He doesn't know, he wants to be sure, so he posts the question on the forum... :roll:

youngsyp

Tell us exactly what parts you have with the gauge bud and we can add to MORF114's guide with possible parts you need.

It's a very simple job, in fact, the hardest part is mounting the gauge in my view.

Paul

P

pulsarboby

its a simple job really, the hardest part is wiring up the gauge to yout lighting circuit so you can see it at night!

the boost pipe you can as morf says pickup from your boost sensor on passenger inner wing, or any vacuum pipe come to that, which is linked to your turbo (just buy a plastic tee piece and run the pipe through the bulkhead to your gauge) but DO NOT use the vacuum pipe that runs to your fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail!

all you need to do then is find the live and neg wire from anywhere on your ligting circuit and run wires to gauge so it lights up at night with all your other dash lights.

best place to mount it is in a pod on drivers a pillar, then you can keep an eye on it without taking your eyes off the road.

hope that helps matey, its an hours work to install it;-)

M

madmax

you can get your ignition live and ilumination from the back of your headunit or stock gauges, just use a test probe to check them, as for the earth just send wire to your chassis

Jonesy

pulsarboby said:
its a simple job really, the hardest part is wiring up the gauge to yout lighting circuit so you can see it at night!

the boost pipe you can as morf says pickup from your boost sensor on passenger inner wing, or any vacuum pipe come to that, which is linked to your turbo (just buy a plastic tee piece and run the pipe through the bulkhead to your gauge) but DO NOT use the vacuum pipe that runs to your fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail!

all you need to do then is find the live and neg wire from anywhere on your ligting circuit and run wires to gauge so it lights up at night with all your other dash lights.

best place to mount it is in a pod on drivers a pillar, then you can keep an eye on it without taking your eyes off the road.

hope that helps matey, its an hours work to install it;-)
What happens if you use the pipe that goes to the fuel pressure regulator. The reason im asking is that ive just had my brother on the phone who has just fitted my spare engine to his car and says it seems a lot quicker than his old engine, about as quick as mine thats running 1.2 bar. But the boost gauge isn't working and he is using this pipe. Im now worried he's running unlimited boost and is going to destroy my engine that he is borrowing.

P

pulsarboby

it wont affect the boost level but it could bugger your fuel pressure regulator up and cause possible fuel starvation or overfuelling as your drawing the vacuum which works regulator, on your boost vacuum side, if you know what i mean

Jonesy

Ok cheers, he says the boost gauge doesn't go above or below zero, will this be because he is using this pipe. Hes changing the pipe over anyway. The gauge did work with is old engine, so its something he's done.

P

pulsarboby

possibly yes, it should be plumbed into either the boost solenoid (with tee to pipe) or the main vacuum inlet to the manifold!

Jonesy

Cheers for the help, he's got the right pipe connected now. Gauge still isn't working, but if you stick your finger over the pipe it is drawing a vaccum, so must be a problem with the gauge or the sender. Going to have another look tommorow.