How do pulsars handle?

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Interested in the above question. Not as in They handle really well, but what do they handle like ie similar to X car or that the understeer etc.

thanks

Kenan

P

pulsarboby

in standard form they handle like any other 4wd ie scooby, evo etc all of these have a tendency to understeer when pushed to the limit.
this can be corrected with suspension mods if it bothers you!

Sweeny

pulsarboby said:
in standard form they handle like any other 4wd ie scooby, evo etc
They dont handle anything like an evo mate :doh: .

Get some coilovers, whiteline handling kit, strut braces & gordon kaye rod ends for best results mate ;-)

P

pulsarboby

Sweeny said:
They dont handle anything like an evo mate :doh: .
sorry but i disagree!
evo will understeer when pushed on a track as will a scooby with standard setup, i know this for a fact as ive owned and driven all three on road and track.
they certainly wont oversteer unless encouraged to do so, 'and he asked what would you compare gtir too??? mondeo? astra? shogun?caterham?

CruiseGTi-R

bit like a badly set-up, understeering version of a lancia delta integrale.

evo's and scoobies more sorted from the factory than an R really.

P

pulsarboby

:shock: thats harsh mr cruise! interrale will fall apart if you attempt to turn steering wheel:lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
They're awful, I don't know why I bought mine, its always having problems with understeer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It handles like a...... 4wd front engined turbo car wih macpherson strurts all round.

Oh that'll be what Pulsarboy said ;-)

P.S. C**p day at work, this was the first post I saw that was getting it :thumbsup:

I feel better now anyway.

Sweeny

pulsarboby said:
sorry but i disagree!
evo will understeer when pushed on a track as will a scooby with standard setup, i know this for a fact as ive owned and driven all three on road and track.
they certainly wont oversteer unless encouraged to do so, 'and he asked what would you compare gtir too??? mondeo? astra? shogun?caterham?
:roll:

Calm down calm down.....

The evo you were drivin must of been goosed then fella :lol: , IMO in standard trim the gtir is worse than the evo for understeer...and can't comment on the poobaru as ive never driven one thank god. So i wouldn't liken the gtir to any ;-)

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Thanks for the replies, you'll have to bear with me as I'm new to these machines. I test drove a standard on e the other week and she felt very good but you could see where improvements could be made. Did feel slow in stock trim and according to the garage (who I trust) after the changed the filter plugs etc went better.

Thats a point, how much quicker is a 300 HP one than a stock car?? I'v got a stage 1 GTR and makes a huge difference over the stock motor.

Sweeny

Get it setup to 1bar which is a 'so called' safe 280bhp on standard setup and it will be a totally different car mate. You wont have saxo's overtaking you then :lol:

lakeview

the gtir handles quite well better than most people give it credit for.in its time it was one of the best handling cars around but some of the more modern 4x4 turbos are years ahead handling wise

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
lakeview said:
the gtir handles quite well better than most people give it credit for.in its time it was one of the best handling cars around but some of the more modern 4x4 turbos are years ahead handling wise
Being argumentative :roll: :lol: :doh: , I'd say they are only a few years ahead but "handling" fashion has changed and made the R dated rather than the technology being much better. In the 90's tyres were smaller with lower profiles and the suspension used softer springs/dampers.

P

pulsarboby

put michael schumacker or the stig:) in a gtir and he will show you what it can do in standard form.
think your all underestimating them, only as good as the bloke whos driving them!!:thumbsup:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
pulsarboby said:
put michael schumacker or the stig:) in a gtir and he will show you what it can do in standard form.
think your all underestimating them, only as good as the bloke whos driving them!!:thumbsup:
Would be wasted on me then :der:

MarkTurbo

kenan said:
I test drove a standard on e the other week
I wasnt quite awake when i read that and thought you'd been driving after taking drugs :shock: If you had that would have explained why you thought they handled well :lol:

NISR227

I'd avoid coilovers, totally ruin the car down a very bumpy road if you ask me, which is where most the fun is at. If your into quick smooth A roads, or trackdays, then yeah coilovers improve it dramatically, but depends what your using the car for.

The standard cars aren't that bad, decent feedback, chuckable but most have worn parts, so don't feel anything like they should, and yeah, it understeers a lot.

The car is very old now, so look at all the suspension. Consider uprating the bushes to whiteline ones, plus Whiteline arb's, strut braces, bumpsteer kit/rods, adjustable dampers with lowered springs, decent 15 or 16 light wheels with decent tyres, and full laser alignment, and it brings it right up to pace with more modern machinery. Don't forget far better brakes too.

stumo

I'd avoid coilovers, totally ruin the car down a very bumpy road if you ask me, which is where most the fun is at. If your into quick smooth A roads, or trackdays, then yeah coilovers improve it dramatically, but depends what your using the car for.
That depends on the spring and damper, not just because it's a coilover.

A

another sunny

mine is a well worn car with well worn tein coilovers , does that mean it handles well?

MORF114

i think gtir dont handle very well when i was driving around a std suspension 97 wrx sti and with hks coilovers for 4 months then got a gtir with tanabe susp then tein coilovers i still reckon the scooby handles better but the r is faster so screw you scooby poo.:thumbsup:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Anyone got any links to sites with the whiteline kits and prices??

I'v always found that cars with coilovers were to harsh on the road. What are good suspensions for the GIT-R then? I would get Bilstine iif they do it? ?