Holding back (again)

Pulsey

a month ago i started having loads of issues with my car with it holding back and just feeling very flat

after allot of changing parts (knock sensor,wiring,fuel filter,fuel flush and very 99ron with boosters,cleaned plugs and cap/roter,reset TPS)

i found that the old plugs where running to cold? i had Nismos 7s so i went for a new set of BCR8ES and gapped them to 0.7, whilst i was there i tried a set of standard leads as one of mine had been chewed through (not the lead itself just the rubber part) after this the car ran spot on and pulled like a train again also the engine tone was competently different. (didnt sound flat anymore) But after a few days the problem is slowly returning:doh:

symptoms are as following

-Car will jolt and kangaroo like when pulling away sometimes
-When booting it you will feel the car just lose its power and hold back (boost is still reading 1 bar) and then shoot off again
- crusing around town with throttle in same position you can feel the car jerking around

anymore ideas?

cheers people:)

PulsarLee

have you checked the wiring to the fuel pump.sounds a bit like the problem i have.

Also, how did you fing replacing the knock sensor? cant get to mine for the dammed Y bracket. any suggestions

cheers,

Lee

Pulsey

Done code check just get code 55

Knock sensor is fairly easy and no need to remove anything you can get tools between sensor and y bracket

PulsarLee

Hi Pulsey,
I would be very gratefull if you could tell me how you got to the det sensor and what tools you used. my R is standard and still has all the damm brackets, top mount etc. How do you manage to unclip the plug from the sensor once you have unscrewed it then attach the plug to the new sensor? sorry for all the questions but i just cant get to the thing and my cars running flat as fook..

any suggestions welcome.

thanks,

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have you sorted this yet? - I'm guessing not boost related because it seems to be off-boost that you've got the problems.

Have you had a look at the plugs; what are they telling you?

Have you checked the timing?

Pulsey

I have not had a chance to take the new plugs put yet due to having top mount makes it bit more time consuming.

As you said don't think it's boost related now as I can pull away in vac and still feel it holding back (it's like pulling another car from behind) I know it still has the top mount and sometimes you can feel the heatsoak but it will do it with tmic cold

Have not checked the timing as more seems random thing then timing. As some days the car will run spot on then the running problem will return and go again

Going try try earthing the afm and then try swap few sensors over if I can get hold of some

you checked your injectors? mine did what yours is doing for two days then i sorted it by taking injectors into work and cleaning them. Found one was damaged at the tip so replaced it. 2 years on and it's been fine ever since.

Knock sensor is fairly easy and no need to remove anything you can get tools between sensor and y bracket
:lol: fairly easy....i beg to differ......

Pulsey

its worth a go i suppose but will the seals need replacing once removed? going to get the car into my work weekend to give it a good once over to try put a end to this fault as been going for over a month now:(

i have had the knock sensor off about 6 times now and can have it off and on again within 20mins. first time only took me 40mins and thats without removing anything which you don't have to do

darkyGTI-R

its worth a go i suppose but will the seals need replacing once removed? going to get the car into my work weekend to give it a good once over to try put a end to this fault as been going for over a month now:(

i have had the knock sensor off about 6 times now and can have it off and on again within 20mins. first time only took me 40mins and thats without removing anything which you don't have to do

Did you have the car on ramps to do that mate?
Also is the knock sensor in the original place and not been modded to fit elsewhere?

Did you have the car on ramps to do that mate?
Also is the knock sensor in the original place and not been modded to fit elsewhere?
Thats what i was thinking, i have tried 4 times now to do mine and i just can't do it at all..... I just cant get my arms up in there or any sort of tooling :(

Pulsey

i had the car on ramps most of the time but last time i did it at home with a set of drive on stands? also i do have very skinny arms:lol: that help

just had the plugs out again and heres how they look nice and brown

so just going to pop out and try a mates MAF sensor see if that does anything

skiddusmarkus

You shouldn't need ot replace anythign just from removing the injectors.The rubber seals last okish.Search for ASNU operators in your area.They should hook it up and measure the flow before cleaning it so if they are fine then you shouldn't need to pay which can be anywhere between £10-15 per injector.

Pulsey

swapped my airflow meter with another R and the car runs 100x better now with another one so will get one stuck on and see how it goes:)

PulsarLee

Hi Pulsey,

Have tried to get to my det sensor a few times without success. Problem is there is only a tiny triangle shaped gap between down pipe and oil filter where you can see but not fit your hand or a tool in. Even if i could manage to get an extension on to the det sensor bolt. how do you take the plug off it and even worse, how would you connect the plug to the new sensor??? im baffled. :((
any pics or a how to do explanation would be great.

Thanks,

Lee

Pulsey

i will try get some photos tomorrow if i get time but you need

short 3/8 12mm socket
3/8 UJ
very long Extension bar
and a small pick

the sock should reach up to the sensor just fine and the ratchet should come through between down pipe and sub frame
once removed the knock sensor will be hanging just above transfer box i think it was and you need to put once hand up beside the down pipe and the other through the wheel arch with the pick

you then need to hold the sensor in one hand and with the pick lift the clip that goes around the connector just enough to release the knock sensor

its then just a case of plugging the new sensor in and i put the bolt into the sensor and attached the socket with the bar to push it up into its place and carefully turn it till you feel the bolt screw in (try not to force it as you will end up cross threading it)

again i will grab some photos if i get a spare 10mins and possible do a new guide:)

hope it helps:)