HKS 264 cams please

vpulsar

As above I'm looking for a good second hand set that have already been run in so I don't have to run my new engine at 4k to bed them in.

Rob

Fusion Ed

There is no problem running in wild cams in a new engine. In fact its really common thing to do...

vpulsar

There is no problem running in wild cams in a new engine. In fact its really common thing to do...
The builder says he's rather not run a brand new engine at 4k if he doesn't have to. I would tend to agree so that's why I'm looking for a good second hand set plus HKS gtir cams are pretty hard to find new as far as I've found so far.

Rob

vpulsar

Fair enough, I don't have any experiences from doing the same that it would bother me :)
My last new GTIR engine had to be run hard to bed in the cams for how ever long and was perfectly OK, But I can see the value of not having to. Then you can just concentrate on bedding in the rings properly which is the most important part of running in a new engine.

So I'll see what turns up.

Fusion Ed

Just run it!! Try and find a cam that has been damaged from bad run-in? I've still never seen one...

vpulsar

Just run it!! Try and find a cam that has been damaged from bad run-in? I've still never seen one...
I'm not disputing that Ed, The engine builder asked me to find a good second hand set mate wasn't my idea lol.

I'll probably just run it on the standard cams for now and see how it goes I got 400 bhp out of my standard engine running them so I don't really see the issue.

Rob

Isn't the best way to bed the rings in to give it a bit of stick anyway? I always was lead to believe that over gentle running in lead to bore glazing etc.

vpulsar

Isn't the best way to bed the rings in to give it a bit of stick anyway? I always was lead to believe that over gentle running in lead to bore glazing etc.

Yes but it's a different process you don't go flat out straight off the bat, On my last engine I followed the bike brake in which meant three runs at 25% then three at 50% then 75% and so on with oil changes in between runs, The cams need a different brake in procedure. That being said my last engine had new cams fitted when it was first started and I never had any issues even though we didn't bed them in as per manufactures instruction.

The logic being was that I'd rather have to change the cams than strip the whole engine lol

Rob