High tickover...

S

slammed_gtir

Hello people, my car seems to idle very high at around 1500rpm is this a common problem and a easy fix?
Thanks

snoon

mine does this intermittently. If you look for all the old threads there are many things that it could be, start trying stuff untill summat works! Could just be an air leak of bad earth.

A

AJ4

Hmm, if I was new to the site, I would look in the 'Problem Solving' section and see if it was a common problem first.

You never know, you might even find a FAQ or Sticky thread that says something like 'High Idle Speed Problems and Posssible Causes'.

It would probably be a good idea to read this thread first before asking here, unless you just want to be the 126483859085th person to ask the same question ;)

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30681

S

slammed_gtir

well to behonist mate i always search first, im just not very good at it so if you dont want to help me just dont reply.

P

pulsarboby

oh dear! a reply like that aint gonna win you many votes on here buddy.
suggest you think what your saying before putting your digits on keyboard!!!
aj will help anybody if he can (as i know)

T

tro||

Sorry, I had to remove that image, it made me sick !

slammed_gtir said:
well to behonist mate i always search first, im just not very good at it .
do you have trouble spelling the word idle then ?

the first thread that comes up if you stick 'idle' into the search is the sticky that has it all just about covered

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think that is just about the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my whole life :shock: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: .....

Rob

A

AJ4

what the f_uck is wrong with you newbs on the forum ???? did it not ever occur to you that in the whole history of the f_cking car, someone at some time might have a had an idle problem ?

what do you mean your not very good at searching ? are you allergic to typing simple phrases and pressing enter ? Or are you just being a lazy twat and expect everyone on here who's been asked the same question a million times to bend over and pander to you ?

I even posted the link to the thread concerned, sorry if that wasn't any help :der:

As Troll says, type 'high idle' into the search engine and the very first post after this one is the one I posted.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=64595

:noidea:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

slammed_gtir

ive looked for the idle screw and cant see it i cant see how you can get to it with a long screw driver as i find any thing that looks like its described it must be well hidden yeah?

youngsyp

I'd go around the engine and check for vacuum leaks first ! I.e. the rubber caps over the balancing ports on the inlet manifold etc.....

S

slammed_gtir

cheers mate problem is i just dont know my way around the engine or where to start looking, is an air leak most likley to be it or is it more common to be something to do with the idle conrol unit?

youngsyp

slammed_gtir said:
cheers mate problem is i just dont know my way around the engine or where to start looking, is an air leak most likley to be it or is it more common to be something to do with the idle conrol unit?
If you search around the forum, you'll see exactly where to look !

Basically, you need to look at any vacuum hose you can find, check the pipe length for leaks, pull it off and clean the connection, then re-attach it and make sure it's secure. Better still, replace all the vacuum hoses you can with nice new silicon hose. It'll look nicer, eliminate those pipes and not cost you a fortune !

You should also check the 4 rubber blanking plugs as mentioned as, these perish and/or get lost over time.

To answer you last question, it's almost certainly a vacuum leak and not the idle control unit !

There was a thread on here about making a boost leak tester, I cobbled one together and straight away found 3 leaks, 2 very small ones in vacuum pipes. Well worth doing and will make finding small leaks a lot easier.

youngsyp

Cambridge_pulsar said:
There was a thread on here about making a boost leak tester, I cobbled one together and straight away found 3 leaks, 2 very small ones in vacuum pipes. Well worth doing and will make finding small leaks a lot easier.
Just out of interest, what did you use to make it ? And how did you make it ?

Cheers

Paul

P

pulsarboby

why not just plug in a vacuum gauge? that will tell you if there are any leaks and you could easily plumb one in permenantly to keep an eye on vacuum pressure!

S

slammed_gtir

ive read some where that if i squezze a by pass pipe if the revs increase then theres a leak

geetee

The pipe coming off the back of the rocker cover I think. And I think the revs drop if you have a leak..... but I'd have to look through a few posts to convince myself again :)

S

slammed_gtir

i read it off the manual i downloaded off the net for the car it says

When pinching blow-by hose does the engine speed rise? if yes check for leak.