High or low impedence Hi Flow injectors

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think it's a case of which is better, I think it's a case of which will work with the harness in your car. - I can't remember which is the right one though.

darkyGTI-R

As pobody says it also depends on what bhp you are looking for whether you want a bigger turbo,also if you're going the expensive forge route?
With bigger injectors you need to get your fueling checked and also I think your ecu will need a piggy back system or you could change the ecu for a mines I foget but it has been mentioned on here before

pschurr

It is worth understanding what impedance means with respect to fuel injectors.

A fuel injector is just a solenoid. When you put a charge across the winding, a plunger is pulled back and a path is opened for pressurised fuel to pass through to the pintle.
The voltage required to activate the solenoid depends on the size and winding of the solenoid.
The winding has an electrical resistance (impedance), and the voltage used to activate the solenoid has to be matched to the solenoids electrical resistance.

The GTIR injectors are low-impedance which means the electrical resistance of the solenoid is low.
The resistor pack (bolted to a bracket next to the wiper motor) takes the 14v in from the cars power system, and reduces it to 5v and passes 5v to each of the injectors.
The ECU switches ground to each of the injectors to activate them.

An injector that has low impedance cannot be driven by 12v. Ours are driven by 5V.
High impedance injectors (with high electrical resistance) can be driven directly off the 12-14v of the cars system.

A manufacturers decision to use low or high impedance injectors used to be determined by the power of the ECU driving them.
If you drive low-impedance injectors with 14v, you're putting a lot of heat back into the transistors on the ECU that are switching GND to the injector.

There isn't really a quality or performance difference between low/high impedance.

peter

Fusion Ed

Quite often high flow injectors until recently were pretty much all low resistance. Now you can get high flow high resistance.

Fusion Ed

high impedance are easier on the electronics. For you on a pulsar it really doesn't make any difference. But you may as well get low as thats whats on there already.