:( helpp! car wont start!

hi guys, got a walbro fuel pump for free off a mate. i disconnected my car battery, and unscrewed the bolts on top of the fuel pump, disconnected the pipes, looked inside, and realised the car already has a walbro fitted, so i connected everything back up the way it was, turned the ignition, and then the car wouldnt start.:doh: i checked if it was the battery, an that was half dead, so i hooked up a power starter, but still it wont start.

you can hear the fuel pump turn on, when u put the ignition on, but when yuo turn it to start, the car goes tick tick tick, no start!

what is the problem? :cry:

is it anything to do with the fuel pump?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd say that you've completely killed the battery - they can get to the point where they work like a capacitor and just suck all the power out of the electrical system, so even though you were using a power starter the starter got no power.

skiddusmarkus

Have you tried priming the fuel pump a few times?Could be an air lock in the fuel line.

Also charge your battery up as a precaution(with a proper charger)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Any luck yet ?

was it a mains powered power starter ?

I would suggest you charge the battery for a good few hours unhooked from the car, meanwhile if one's available borrow known good battery from another car and try starting it with that.........if that starts it leave it running for a few minutes, unhook the borrowed battery and rehook up your battery, leave it running and go for a short run to charge.
If you don't have another battery to hand wait till the one your charging has a charge then hook it back up to the car AND connect the power starter (if it's a mains one) then try starting it again....

Bearing in mind that now your battery has been completely drained it will NEVER hold a charge like it did and you'll probably have to change it for new sooner or later just to make the car reliable again....

thansk for replies,

pobody, ive tested the battery, and it shows it has Good power, its not dead!

skiddus how do i prime the fuel pump? could be air in the system, dont know!

macpherson, yes the ticks get slower and quieter.

steve, yes it was the mains connected starter, once connected, all the lights in the car were bright as if it just came off production line, but the car doesnt turn over still, ive checked all the connections, and they are tight, etc, i never realy pulled anything out of the fuel tank. everything remaied as it was.

if the battery shows (on a battery tester) that it has power. then?

il go swap the battery now then, see if that sorts it out!

fingers crossed

skiddusmarkus

Well I have recently had the fuel lines on and off a lot and as a result when I tried to start it, it made a weird dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk noise.It sounded like an air lock.So I just kept turning the ignition of and on again as it repressurises the system and I presume forces the air back into the tank.It worked after that.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
if the battery shows power and all the lights came on then it looks like you have power and the car should start OK..........but the clicking you mention is the common sound you hear when the key is turned > battery flat = starter motor doesn't receive power to turn engine

You must have moved something and not put it back ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Earth strap from the body to the battery is shot? - Enough juice to run all the lights, but not enough to turn the starter over?
Even a dodgy terminal on the battery could do that; I've had to tap them on a bit harder before.

hi guys, i checked the battery again today, it was dead! now im going to stick it on charge over night, and then try it again tomorow morning. i realy hope its the battery! im guessing my sound system has drained the life out of it, especially when im hitting high speed at the same time! lol:doh:

hi guys, just checked the battery, and its showing good power, and yet the car stil wont start. what could it be?
im guna get a mechanic to check it over tomorow morning, hopefully he will fix it!

hmm, tacho is not moving. And also is it possible that my spark plugs are gone? .. however i will get a mechanic to check it over, thanks guys, will let you know how it goes tomorow!:thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As Steve said, that "tik tik tik" is symptomatic of the solenoid on the starter opening, but the motor not turning... which usually comes back to no juice getting to it; if the battery is good then it could be the earths. Just bare in mind that the voltage on a battery under load may be quite different from one doing no work.

P

pulsarboby

if the solenoids clicking and the starters not turning then its 99%| a dodgy starter motor
thats assuming all your connections are good of course

skiddusmarkus

If it is the starter solenoid sticking try and give it a few persuausive taps with a bit of wood and a hammer.Also, rocking the car with it in gear can sometimes disengage it.

guys! cars sorted, the mechanic checked ti over and gave me a to do list! lol

so it goes by this:

starter motor is laazy, it needs replacing,
battery needs replacing, its gone
sparkplugs need replacing, sooner rather then later
Car needs tuning, asap

so the car wasnt starting because of the battery and starter motor.

fuel pump etc were fine, one loose connection. apart from that all is fine! :thumbsup:

thanks everyone for your help! realy appreciate it!

P

pulsarboby

i would take some of that with a pinch of salt tbh
try getting a new battery first of all as it could be knackered, that may cure your starting fault on its own.
if not then it will be the startermotor, ive got good s/h ones if needed!

with regard to tune up, plugs etc, that may not be necessary because if the battery is goosed then the amperage going towards firing and a good spark will be minimal which will give you irratic running and may give appearance of plug failiure.