Help to find shock absorbers.

GTI R RA

I am pleased with my current setup, but I would like to replace my standard dampers
with new ones preferably uprated.
I am looking for direct replacement and not coilovers, just some good shocks.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of wich manufacter that makes them,
where to buy and part numbers would also be great?!
I have tried looking for some here in Norway, but it is hard to find and coilovers
are hard to get approved in MOT as there are so many gay rules over here.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There are some Nismo ones, but I don't know where you'd get them from.
Other than that, I think you'll end-up changing the springs too.

geetee

I have Koni adjustable dampers on the rear of mine.

They were on there when I got it - so no idea if they are still available or not.

The Koni site doesn't have a listing for the GTiR only the GTi ..... no idea if they would be the same or not.

red reading

the koni and spax shocks were inserts that go in the standard strut's,if you look around i think you can still get them.
i had them on my old r and with the full white line kit made them very good handling road car's

vss irvine

kyb still do struts for the gti. these are the same as the gtir however its the springs that are different.

i have a kyb catalogue at the workshop but im out of the country for another week, but ill have a look when i get home.

as above you should still be able to buy koni inserts, best to contact koni direct.

GTI R RA

I will check with Koni and I found KYB for the R at Nengun, but the price was terrible.
Would ce nice to have the Nismo part-numbers.

smiddy

kyb still do struts for the gti. these are the same as the gtir however its the springs that are different.

i have a kyb catalogue at the workshop but im out of the country for another week, but ill have a look when i get home.

as above you should still be able to buy koni inserts, best to contact koni direct.
Sorry to bring up an old post, but have been looking into shocks.
The numbers given on www.kyb-europe.com/catalogue.asp Give the same front shock part numbers for the sunny gti, sunny gtir, pulsar 2.0 16v as Front Right Part number 633115 and Left Part number 633116. These are available from Camskill for £55.10inc.vat each.
Would the rear Gti shocks also fit?
And could I use these with the lowering springs already in my car?

vss irvine

the rear shocks are a little bit thinner iirc on the gti.

physically they will fit though. but you may find the arb mount on the shock body is a bit out.

smiddy

so the fronts are ok with my springs?
if so does this mean the gti/2.0 16v excel-g and ultra sr struts will fit also, as the gtir is only listed for the premium strut

CruiseGTi-R

How did you get on with this? I'm trying to find a good shocks+springs set-up too and I'm amazed how difficult it is to find anything other than full on coilovers for the R.

vomitt

I had great difficulty finding shocks, mine were worn so much that when we took them off, they had zero resistance in the rears... got a set of second hand ones from Pulsarboby and thyre doing well atm.