help elbow prob

T

tombola

is there a gasket from turbo to elbow
2 nuts are missing of mine ,do i need to strip
the entire front end and turbo off 2 replace nuts and
gasket?

skiddusmarkus

There is a gasket and 5 nuts.It's a bit awkward to get to but with a ramp and if you remove the downpipe you might be able to get it off.Exgtir or Olly are the ones to ask on this one.

Keira

Unless its blowing i wouldn't worry, my mates is held on by rust and 1 nut :shock:

Has obviously been like it for a while and car was running fine, Discovered it whilst trying to remove aircon bracket, one bolt is up behind the elbow, I struggled like F*ck to get to the very back bolt on the elbow, ( the only one holding his on ). Really need to be under the car, not coming from the front.

When i took my aircon off, one of mine was missing, found it behind the aircon pump bracket.

If it isn't blowing dont worry, for peace of mind remove the heat shield and try to tighten the rest up, may be able to replace the missing 2 but its grief depending on what ones have come off. The one up the back is a f*cker when turbo is on the car :(

T

tombola

elbow def

theres two nuts missing both can seen from underneath
looking up at the down pipe flange ,i cant hear it blowing
but its not building or holding boost very well ,also when i fitted
the hks front pipe to the elbow and gave it a wiggle it was definately
moving i could feel the play, im gonna have to sort it to eliminate
the boost problem although tempted to leave it as it means turbo and
manifold off to fix , is the actuator upgradeable whilst its off
i may as well do ,hoping to run 12-13 psi when when ive saved for greddy
boost controller running a poor 8psi at min but it still donuts
in the wet :shock:

T

tombola

ps

ps only the hand of beadle could reach those nuts :lol:

B

big boy

you can tighten the nuts on the elbow with the turbo inplace! just retighten, gasket will be fine

Keira

The gasket is a metal one, i put the same one back on when mine was off cos matey at nissan kept getting the wrong one :(

ian c

gasket

mine started to blow - on closer inspection i noticed that three nuts were missing - reason was, gasket had disintegrated, therefore clamp load had been lost - so nuts came off!
got new gasket for £15....and sorted it.
Don't use the standard nuts, they come lose all the time, use clinch nuts instead!
the lower rear nut is a pain in the ass - you'll need to cut a spanner down to length if you do it on the car.....
i took the tubbie off and sorted it - but you then need to replace manifold to block gasket too!

O

Olly

Can be done probably easier with Ac pump hanging out of the way, little spanner and 13mm crows foot. gaskets probably ok as is metal, still least the four that hold the turbo to the manifold aren't loose :lol:

T

tombola

did any one suffer boost probs becuase of these bolts missin
mines not buildin boost steady most of the time and only goes to
9 psi ,but occosionally it runs fine boosts earlier hits 11psi
and goes like stink?

how hard is it to swing aircon out of the
way? will it need gas bleeding out?

:( :( :( :( :( :( missin out on a poorly boostin pulsar

Keira

Olly said:
still least the four that hold the turbo to the manifold aren't loose :lol:
Can vouch that this scenario is a right pain in the @rse :lol:

Especially when really you want a new, shiny, better turbo yet you've persuaded yourself not to get one only to have to take the turbo off to replace damaged gasket and then fit the same old standard t28 back on :cry: