Heat wrapping exhaust, manifold & elbow?

G

GTI-R Kid

Right, before anyone points me in the direction of the wonderful search button, I'm here long enough to know to use it first and ask questions after if I can't find the info I need. :p

So as you can guess I've already searched the forums and can't find much comprehensive info about the subject. :oops:

So here come the questions :!: Any help/opinions welcome 8)

I'm currently thinking about heat wrapping the entire length of the Mongoose on our car, along with the elbow and manifold (both standard) if I can manage to figure out a way of doing the latter two.

What I need to know is have many owners on here done this? Noticed any improvements in performance or engine bay temps? Don't want to be wasting my time if its not going to bring some form of benefit really.

Anyone any idea how much of the material I'd need? I've done a little research and anywhere that supplies seem to do similar amounts like 1 inch x 25 foot length, 2 inch x 25 foot length, 1 & 2 inch x 50 foot. How much do I actually need? Should I just do the exhaust, the exhaust & elbow, half the exhaust, the whole lot if I can manage it?

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks 8)

Dooie Pop Pop

if you dont mind maybe replacing your manifold now and then do the lot :wink:

50ft wont last long if its only 2 inch' s wide. dont wrap it thick you dont need too and make sure you dump the roll in a bucket of water before you use it.

it stops all that nasty glass fibre from flying about :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't bother doing anything past the downpipe and even on the downpipe I'd only be tempted to do anything where there's a chance it could melt something if it got realy hot.
The idea of lagging is to kep the heat in the exhaust gas before the turbo to help spool up, after the turbo you just want to get rid of it quickly.

You can get turbo lagging kits which do the manifold as well, but that's just a roll of 1'x50' I think (long time since I did the monty) It's abit fiddly to do a cast manifold, but no major problem.

G

GTI-R Kid

Dooie Pop Pop said:
if you dont mind maybe replacing your manifold now and then do the lot :wink:
Is this a problem even using the standard cast manifold? I've heard of it affecting stainless tubular manifolds as it can cause hot spots which develop into weak spots and cracks. I thought the standard cast jobbie was built to last?

Fast Guy said:
I wouldn't bother doing anything past the downpipe and even on the downpipe I'd only be tempted to do anything where there's a chance it could melt something if it got realy hot.
The idea of lagging is to kep the heat in the exhaust gas before the turbo to help spool up, after the turbo you just want to get rid of it quickly.

You can get turbo lagging kits which do the manifold as well, but that's just a roll of 1'x50' I think (long time since I did the monty) It's abit fiddly to do a cast manifold, but no major problem.
I thought that if the exhaust gas was kept hot it flowed easier and required less power from the engine to get rid of? Thus less power loss it the entire system was wrapped?

And 1"x50' is only sufficient for a manifold? :shock: So I'd need about 150 feet of 2" to do the whole exhaust and elbow? :oops: