Headlight multiplug earth burning out

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have many others had this problem? My passenger side connector melted on the earth side a couple of years back, now my drivers side has just done the same. Both times I removed the earth wire and wired a new one in.
I now have nice clear white headlights on both sides and no smell of burning:lol: . The drivers side was abit dull/brown with the bad earth.

I think I'll have a look at cleaning a few of the earth points up in the engine bay as I'm wondering if they're all on the way out:?

stumo

It's a bad connection on the bulb which causes heat (cos of the resistance) and that causes the melting.

It's good to check the other earths though

Mr GTiR

I've had this probelm before and it melted the n/s plug. I think there is still a problem as that light keeps flicking on and off.

When I get time i'm fitting a HID kit so will renew the earth wire at the same time.

lakeview

for some reason nissans and fords seems both to have this problem the connectors only seem to last a couple of years

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stumo said:
It's a bad connection on the bulb which causes heat (cos of the resistance) and that causes the melting.

It's good to check the other earths though

Do you mean inside the bulb or bulb to multiplug connector?

If it's the first I can't see both my bulbs having the same problem as they came from different sources and if it's the 2nd it must be down to some dodgy Nissan stuff on t he loom. I spliced in a primera connector for the drivers side one, so I'll see if that goes the same way.

Andy, my bulbs both kept going out, the drivers side one seemed to be the multiplug trying to fall off the bulb, but it would never actually fall off. The bulb would go out and the main beam indicator would stay on all the time.

Lakeview, my o/s one has been OK for about 6.5 years now, since I've had the car, the n/s one was about 4.5years.

Shaun

As stumo said its the connector at fault.The connectors tend to go weak and create a bad connection and arcing generating heat and melting of the insualtor.I used a plug from a Vauxhall astra to repair mine about 4 years ago and its been fine since.I had to do the same on a sceicento the other day so its not only on the 'R'.

geetee

Yep - seems to be a common problem, I had to replace both of my connectors as they had gone kind of crispy lol