Headgasket not seal! Swap HG if engine in or out?

red reading

Doubt it, as said before pistons and rings are not bedded in so will more likely be the oil control ring leaking.....needs time to bed in. If the head was cracked that deep to hit the oil gallery you would have seen it very very easily. The oil leak from the back of the block could be oil filter housing, or timing chain tensioner. Are you sure you have had it running long enough to burn the oil off the piston from the engine being built or that it is not fuel sitting on top of the pistons?

Thor

Ahhh now i have an idea! Is it possible that the oil squirter spray the oil under the pistons and because the oil control ring is not expand the piston pull the oil up between pistons and liners? Then comes the oil on the pistons and burn. After the oil control ring is bedded in the problem must eliminated?!

Thor

Leak tester i have ordered and i think that it arrive next week. Then we see if all is ok or not.

Yesterday i had run the engine at idle and there was nothing blue smoke back on the exhaust! The pistons are oil free now. The oil leak behind the engine was a broken gasket at the oil filter housing too the block!

But now i have another question, i had put 2 new clutch discs on my Sachs sinter clutch and the engine makes much rattle! That is abnormal! My friend had change one shaft bearing form the gearbox and he talked me that all other was ok. Is it possible that my clutch makes so much rattle noise? It is so much that the knocksensor reads more than amount of 80 if i makes higher revs! At idle it is up to 30 -40!!

Thor

@Danny

Yes of course! 4L we had filled in it. If i can make a good video i will post them these days.

I mean there wasa little shaft play between input shaft gearbox / clutch center discs. How much clearance it does have?

@VSS

Yes it works right without problems.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

yes the multiplate clutch should only rattle with clutch depressed when the plates are disengaged from fly

Thor

Or can make the Pilot Bushing on the crank problems??? Has anyone changed them on these engine?

Last edited:

red reading

There is no pilot bush or bearing in the end of the crank to support the gearbox shaft, have you got a picture of the Sachs clutch...just wondering if it is a hub drive rather than conventional.

Thor

Are you sure? I have now take a look into my another crank here in my garage and there i can see the bushing!

Yes i have a pic but that is not the best! Please look here in my Member post!

Please note, that Sachs is 184mm diameter and my flywheel was lightend that only these clutch can fitted! But these clutch and fly was used before me on a race car!

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?48476-Sascha%B4s-GTI-R-from-Germany/page6

Last edited:

red reading

The gear shaft does not locate in to a bushing in the crank...I am sure.

Do you have a picture of the clutch plates?

Thor

Here you can see the bushing. If necessary i can make a pic in my garage too

This here are the pics from the plates but the new are Helix sintered plates and before was fitted 4 puk no name plates.

Here are few pics from my clutch!

Last edited:

red reading

Unless you had a one off made gearshaft it does not locate in the end of the crank bushing or not, our gtir do not have a long enough shaft or a machined spigot on the end, what gearbox have you got? As you have solid un sprung clutch plates it could be the gears on the shafts rattling and making the noise.

Thor

Ah good too know. I have fit the Quaife box. The clutch plates are without springs but i mean there is a litte too much clearance between shaft and clutch center...