Head gasket done but not sure about timing

T

Tone

Blew head gasket due to radiator leak, before head was removed I marked the bottom pulley position and put some marks on the cam sprockets, Its all back together now and runs but doesn't pull like it used to. When i use a timing light the marks on the bottom pulley are not visible, I'm sure thats not right. Do I have to use a new timing chain to get the coloured links to be able to time it correctly and if so will the new chain go on without removing the sump?

GINGA

No you don't need the timing marks on the chain to time it up, just the ones on the crank pulley. Heres a guide I did a while ago.

Line the crankshaft pulley upto the tdc mark on it (the second one from the rear) then put the exhaust cam so the woodruff key slot is pointing directly upwards then fit chain over it so its tight between the crank and cam pulley on the front of the engine. then the inlet cam woodruff key slot should be at about 45 degrees before the top and if you've got it right there should be 11 links between the marks on the each pulley(including the ones on the marks) then turn the enigne over a couple of times by hand and recheck.
Becareful checking the ignition timing as if your idle speed is above 1000rpm the timing jumps to 40 degrees from the 20 it should read when the idle speed is below 1000rpm.

T

Tone

Thanx Ginga
It will be Thursday before I can check it, I'll let you know how it goes.

T

Tone

Finally got around to setting valve timing as diagram but using woodruf key position on crank to determine true tdc, engine now pulls like a train as it should but the timing marks on the bottom pulley are nowhere near the pointer when engine is at true tdc. Am I missing something? In the past I have known crank dampers to move in the rubber but this one is fine.

P

pulsarboby

that diagram is fine, providing the bright link on the crank sprocket is in the correct position;-)
if at any time its been removed, it may not be put back on correct tooth of the sprocket.
re-check timing marks by getting top links in line with markers, then make 100% sure that timing mark on bottom pulley is at tdc on the pointer (as ginga said) second from left is 0 degrees tdc.
if that is correct, then start the car and slacken dizzy then turn it untill you see tdc mark align with pointer.
then set timing gun to 20 degrees and adjust again so that mark is in line then clamp the dizzy!