Have I killed my new turbo?

S

seanleed

boohoo!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: . Fitted my new turbo on Saturday, car started fine, idled fine, oil temp and pressure fine, coolant temp fine. Turned boost controller down to .5 bar and went for a drive around the town- all fine. Went out of town and as the turbo started to make boost I noticed a wee bit of smoke out the back, then loads of smoke :shock: , pulled over and noticed smoke coming from the front of the car, so popped the bonnet and had a look; smoke was coming from below car so got down and saw that the exhaust was covered in oil. The oil was dripping from the top of the oil return pipe, so took car home and went away for the day. Had a good look on Monday and saw that the oil return pipe was kinked, ended up ordering a hydraulic pipe to replace the standard return pipe and fitting into the block which I got yesterday and fitted last night (not an easy job :twisted: ) Took the car out today and I've still got smoke coming out as I start to make boost and for ages after I take my foot off the pedal :( , car is now back on the drive. I've taken the hoses off the intercooler and there is no oil inside them and none around the dump valve. What I'm wondering is: when the return pipe was kinked would the build up of oil pressure in the turbo make the seals leak just on the impeller side? and is the oil just going through the seal at that side and out the exhaust :? The turbo's a T28 roller bearing. There is no smoke at idle or when revved up a bit, I didn't even get above .2 bar when I took it out 'cos I was trying to be gentle with everything :roll: I was soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to getting out in it again :cry: Sorry about the long post, thought I'd try and include as much info about the prob as I could.

A

AZ STE

Sounds like you have filled the inlet side with oil worth checking the pipework /intercooler for oil as even though you have now allowed the oil to flow there maybe lots of oil in the pipework and its picking it up and burning it through the engine.

G

GTI-R Kid

Its also possible that the oil that spilled out first wasn't all burned off the exhaust and so whats left has yet to burn and thats why there's still smoke. :wink:

N

N1SMO

you have the exact same problem as me, chances ar the turbo is fine as it uses a very little amount of oil, i still have to find a solution for replacing the pipe.

i fitted a temp pipe in a big loop for the time being, but it did take a while for the smoke to clear and even longer for the smell to go away.

Ian

zia

ages after I take my foot off the pedal , car is now back on the drive. I've taken the hoses off the intercooler and there is no oil inside them and none around the dump valve.
remove the cat or bypass pipe run the engine if can and secure the tail section drive the car and see if it still smokes.or you could remove downpipe and start the car and check for leaking oil dripping down which would indicate turbo seal failure.

zia

S

seanleed

Thanks for the replies guys. I think when I come off night shift tomorrow morning, I'll take it out for a wee run while there's not as much traffic on the road and see if it gets any better. N1smo, I'll take a pic of the hose I got made up later on and show you what I did.

S

seanleed

Sorry for the crap quality of the pic, but I was lying under the car in the rain and was in a bit of a hurry :)
This is what I got made up, it's a 1/2"BSPT fitting onto 1/2"convoluted ptfe with stainless overbraid onto a 16mm 90* standpipe (you would have to choose the standpipe type to suit your application). Then a bit of hose connecting he turbo outlet to the standpipe. Ideally I would have welded the standpipe to the plate that bolts onto the turbo, but because of the location it would have been unbelievably difficult, so I didn't bother :oops:

N

N1SMO

Thats the very pipe i need. where did you get it, and can you get me one, and how much. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

seanleed

I got it made at a hydraulics place. It was about £21. You should maybe try Ex-gtir, he could probably do it for a better price. If you do want me to get one, let me know. I would need to know how long you want it (my one's about 12" (ooer missus :oops: )) but I think it could have done with being a bit longer and also if you want a straight or 90* standpipe. Make sure you can get the old fitting out of the block first, I ended up persuading a pair of stilsons onto it and shoving them with my foot because it was in so tight :twisted:

N

N1SMO

I take it when you fitted the new turbo the 2 pipes that get sleved with a short piece of hose no longer lined up, i had this problem, did you chop the standard turbo out elbow so it points downwards as this is what i have done.

S

seanleed

Yep, that's exactly the problem I had. I cut the bend out of the pipe and had it welded on as a straight bit :D

S

seanleed

I've tried Zia's idea and didn't notice any oil lying on the ground after I switched the car off, but have decided to send the turbo away to get it checked over. Any recommendations as to where to send it? Turbodynamics seem to get a lot of good reports on here, any idea how much it'd cost for a check over? I've e-mailed universal and I'm still waiting for a reply :( Their customer service seems to leave a lot to be desired.

ashills

turbo technics or turbo dynamics are safe bets
TT dont do much with roller bearing units so might be best to speak to craig at TD