GTiROC Trackday Review...

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Back in May this year the idea was put together for a few of us to get together with our cars and have a pulsar trackday.
At the time I doubt many people thought we’d pull it off or even get to the stages of taking payments let alone getting enough cars together for such an event; but 6 months later on a damp October morning 10 GTiR’s (just about) made it to the event and this is what happened…

Early morning, check! Breakfast, check! Relentless energy drink, check! Car, check!
All I need now is my directions and we are ready to go.
Yes the wait had finally come to an end; The Blobster, Martyn and I set off to Oulton Park for the GTIROC Trackday.
Of course I had visions of us there nice and early to meet and greet all, but somehow we were late and just about everyone was there before us! :doh:

Anyway, once in the paddock tyres were rolled out, tools were precisely categorised and the food was prepared for all to feast on!
A quick hello to a few people before the mad dash to get signed in and have the track briefing that took almost forever! You could feel the tension near to the end as the organisers said “any questions?” a small gasp came from the crowd, hoping that no-one would say anything… “Yes sir, you have a question?” and in the corner some had raised their hand. A quiet but yet noticeable groan from the crowd, but once that was finished people made a run for the doors and we were free to get ready.

At the point I jumped in the car rammed my head in my helmet and drove over to the track entrance to queue up for my sighting laps. After waiting for about 10 min's I was approached by a marshal for my sound test. “No problems” I thought until he said, and I quote “nope, no way” I was too loud! “Over 105db’s” he said. There must be a mistake or I’m just over as last time I was only 103db’s?
“What was my figure I asked?” “110db’s mate” was the reply.
A 110db’s!!!!!” I bellowed back to which I almost offered “Are you having a fu…” and just about restrained myself as well as my composure!

To say I was surprised was an understatement. Never in my life had I been 110db’s and bearing in mind that I’ve had a larger new silencer installed I was pretty naffed off and questioning their db meter. :evil:

I went back to the paddock area, disgruntled that I might have to miss out the days activities due to the car being (apparently) too loud!
However Martyn the clever buggar had brought some wire wool along for some odd reason? Whatever that reason was, it was now being stuffed into my exhaust pipe so that I could attempt another sound check and hopefully pass the regulations.

A careful off boost drive over to the sound area and I was tested again, miraculously I passed and a puzzled marshal stickered my car say I was under the 105db limit and I gently made my way to the track. :thumb:
One entering the track the car built up speed, I built up boost and from a quite roar the car “popped” into loud mode and I was off.
I think you can guess what had happened, yes the wire wool had been shot out of the exhaust like a pea from a peashooter!

At this point it was too late, I was half way down to the 2nd corner so I opened up the taps and gave it the noise!

Back in the pits a couple people had mentioned that there were two “hedgehogs” on the pit exit that looked like they had a death wish, however on closer inspection it was my (and Martyn’s - he’d done the same also) wire wool bung(s), rolling around the pit exit lane!!!
To be honest it was more comical on the day, but it certainly tickled me pink each time I went out on track!

As the day went on the track dried and by about dinner time the track was 95% clear of water and the grip levels were through the roof.

During the build up to the trackday I had also got hold of some slick tyres. So with a little help, I checked pressures and fitted them to the car and went out for a burn.
This is the 1st time I’ve been round Oulton Park before on slick so I was keen to see what kind of grip I could gain from them?
I was surprised on how much they offered once hot, earlier in the day I was turning in to corners and tyres were screeching and I didn’t want to push them too much to avoid coming off.
However with the slicks on it was a different story, tonnes of grip, no screeching and cornering speeds were improved.
When you hear people bang on about them, you wonder if all the hype is justified? Well I can tell you it is! When you have been around a track like Oulton Park for years with road tyres and you move to slicks and really drive them hard, the grip levels are excellent.
Even at one point I got it all a bit wrong, came into a corner far too quick, missed a gear and still made it round. I’m sure with road tyres that might not have been the case and I could have been grass surfing.
So if you have a cage I would consider some part-worn’s as they are a lot of fun. :thumb:

Anyway the day wore on, passenger rides were given and smiles were all round.
Stumo’s huge pretzel jar was being devoured and watching Aimee getting all excited about cornflake cakes was certainly a highlight!

As the day came to a close and I decided to go out for one last blast in the car. With daylight getting less, the track was empty and with about ¼ of a tank of fuel I went out for a few laps to finish the day.

Video here (apologies for the crap view, didn’t realise it was that rubbish until the end of the day!) :doh:

Overall I had en excellent day, it was great to meet new people and have a right laugh with you all.
Many thanks to all that tuned up and the GTiROC staff that helped to make the day a success without you all it would not work. :-D

I’m already thinking towards next year’s trackday now, so watch this space! 8)

Last edited:

stumo

I've said it before but thanks to you Andy for organising it and Steve Pudney for getting the OC to pay for the garages (and for probibly some other stuff behind the curtains)

P

pulsarboby

good write up andy, you did well to get this organised and paid for:thumbsup:
cant get the vid to work though (very stop start) but maybe my pc.

if you organise one next year can it be somewhere more central uk?
as suggested the other day 'donnington would be good' but noise limits too low!
which really leaves cadwell park as the next best option with possibilities of silverstone, rockingham, mallory park

P

pulsarboby

thats true, and its an expensive track at that, would have thought cadwell was the best option for most, although thats still a 31/2hr drive from down south!
thing is its less aggro getting there as its a nicer drive without the shitty m1 and m6 and they have good facilities and a good spectator track aswell

nathan

good review just like to add when you had bob in the car my m8 timed you and you did 2.08 2.09 and 2.10

I think central england would be good (very close to me) and hopfully mine will be ready :)

P

pulsarboby

when you had bob in the car my m8 timed you and you did 2.08 2.09 and 2.10

extra weight means more speed and stability:lol::lol:

i was willing andy to try get past that other beige rx7 type car on track (not sure what it was) but we just didnt have quite enough grunt to keep with it after it went past us, a few more horses under his bonnet and it would have been a different story though.

would just like to say that andy drove very well, good control and very smooth:thumbsup:

ChrisS

extra weight means more speed and stability:lol::lol:

i was willing andy to try get past that other beige rx7 type car on track (not sure what it was) but we just didnt have quite enough grunt to keep with it after it went past us, a few more horses under his bonnet and it would have been a different story though.

would just like to say that andy drove very well, good control and very smooth:thumbsup:
Was it the V8 Ginetta????

That black RX7 with the V8 was mega quick if anyone else had that come past them.